Searching for a 36", unfortunately I have a wish list that may or may not be reality

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'm looking for a 36" set, preferably non-HD (for budgetary reasons) with 2 sets of component inputs and at least 2 sets of S-Video inputs. Is there a set available with that many "good" inputs? I've been looking at the Sony Wega's, but they only offer that many inputs on their HD sets, clearly out of my price range. I apologize for asking such a "narrow question" (i.e. one that won't benefit others), I wish not to offend.
    If there aren't any "double" component sets available, is it possible to get a switch box? Is it worth hooking up a PS2 or XBox via component compared to S-Video if I'm not using their DVD capability?
    Thanks, in advance!

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

First, there are several switch boxes available, depending on how much you want to spend. JVC supposedly makes a very good passive switcher (you have to manually push a button). There are several automatic switchers from Key Digital and Extron, but they are much more expensive.

As to you TV question. What is your budget? You might be surprised about what you can afford. Hitachi makes a very nice 36" HD ready set, that you can often find on sale for about $1300.

Hope this helps.

3. Dave Schofield

My budget is around $1,500. It all depends on tax rebates, first paychecks, etc [​IMG]
    Seems to me that I want a hybrid of the following models from Sony:
    KV-36FS17
    KV-32HS20
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into the Hitachis. You don't by any chance have a URL handy, do you?

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Here is a link to the 36" hitachi monitor.
    http://www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/dir...36udx10s.shtml
    Unlike the sony it only has 1 component input. However, when I was looking at sets, I preferred the picture in the Hitachi to the Sony, and it was several hundred less than the Sony.
    Check them all out, and see what you like.

5. Dave Schofield

I see the Hitachi is roughly 100lb lighter than a similar Wega... Does Sony use lead for its chasis? [​IMG]

6. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

It's the flat tube on the Wega that causes the increase in weight. I think the glass used for flat screens needs to be considerably thicker because the tube is under higher pressure. My 32" Wega weighs more than that Hitachi.

7. Dave Schofield

George, other than the lack of second component input that TV is nearly perfect for me. I'll be honest, HD is not something that I'm looking at as a "must-have" but with a price (and good reviews) like the Hitachi's...

I asked this before, but it might have been skimmed over, is there any advantage to hooking up a PS2 to component (vs. S-video) if I'm not using the DVD player? How about XBox? I see that some XBox games will do 1080i but some on this forum have had problems (with menus being 480p and gameplay another "set")

Thanks for the info guys!

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

There's no real advantage to using component inputs for interlaced (480i) signals on a 36" TV, over using S-video. There is an improvement but it's subtle in most cases.

If you get a NTSC set with component inputs, use them for your DVD player, and use S-video for your game box(es).

KJP