What's new

Search results within a forum... (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I just went into the Movies forum to see if anything had been posted about a recent film. Didn't see anything on the first couple of pages so I ran a search on 'First Reformed', checking the TITLE ONLY box and the 'search this forum only' box.

I got two pages of results, with each result directing me to the same thread. At a glance it looked like each one was highlighting a different post in that thread.

So what is TITLE ONLY supposed to do, if not condense all of that to one result, given that there is, in fact, only one such thread with this title?

(EDIT: And I guess my own thread title should have been "Search Results by Title Only" since that's really the question here.)

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess, Charles, you got each result in which the search parameters found a post within a thread which contained "First Reformed" in the title--for better or worse.

I've had that happen and just go to the post labeled as Post #1.

I've found the search engine to be much better lately (than in the past)...for whatever that's worth.

To answer your particular question...TITLE ONLY is designed to be different than searching for each post which contains "First Reformed" in it. Searching "First Reformed" without TITLE ONLY, for example, would have included my recent Weekly RoundUp which announced the prices for the recent release of the title.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I guess, Charles, you got each result in which the search parameters found a post within a thread which contained "First Reformed" in the title--for better or worse.

I've found the search engine to be much better lately (than in the past)...for whatever that's worth. Agree!

To answer your particular question...TITLE ONLY is designed to be different than searching for each post which contains "First Reformed" in it. Searching "First Reformed" without TITLE ONLY, for example, would have included my recent Weekly RoundUp which announced the prices for the recent release of the title.

Thanks, Mike. *think* I get the distinctions you're making in your first and last paragraphs. What I don't get is why TITLE ONLY doesn't work "my" way :) -- i.e., to just return all thread titles containing the search words. Maybe there's a way to make this happen in advance search? I know that nearly every search I've ever done here has been to find a specific thread, or threads -- therefore, I always think "title"...

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I just went into the Movies forum to see if anything had been posted about a recent film. Didn't see anything on the first couple of pages so I ran a search on 'First Reformed', checking the TITLE ONLY box and the 'search this forum only' box.

I got two pages of results, with each result directing me to the same thread. At a glance it looked like each one was highlighting a different post in that thread.

So what is TITLE ONLY supposed to do, if not condense all of that to one result, given that there is, in fact, only one such thread with this title?

(EDIT: And I guess my own thread title should have been "Search Results by Title Only" since that's really the question here.)

I've found the search engine to be much better lately (than in the past)...for whatever that's worth.

In this situation you really have to go to the advanced search by clicking the "MORE..." button from the "Search..." drop-down menu.

htf_search_01.png

From there you choose "SEARCH THREADS AND POSTS" while still ticking the checkbox for "Search titles only". The option you get with this particular query that you don't get with the default "Search..." drop-down menu is an additional checkbox at the bottom for "Display results as threads".

htf_search_02.png

This way you only display results as threads instead of every post that is in that particular thread.

htf_search_03.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks