What's new

Search for the Nile (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone remember the semi-documentary Search for the Nile from the early 70's? This is a superior 6-part dramatization of the search for the source of the Nile, which in the latter part of the 19th century was about equal to our more recent race to the moon, beginning from the Sir Richard Burton/John Speake expeditions through the final determination of the source. The problem that led to the search, if I recall right, was that the Nile flowed out of a large, unnavigable swamp from somewhere in the interior of Africa and so instead of being able to simply follow the river south to the source, explorers had to come from other angles. Given that the interior of Africa was still a big unknown back then and still extremely primitive and hostile, this was no easy matter.

This was never released on laser disc, in this country for certain (I doubt anywhere else either). I don't know if it ever made VHS. It hasn't been shown on TV for quite a few years. I don't think I even owned a vcr any time it was shown; if I had, I would have taped it. A dvd release would be most welcome, so if anyone has any influence on getting this released, please use it!

P.S. Yes, I'm aware of - and own and recommend - the excellent film Mountains of the Moon, which covers the Burton/Speake expeditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks