Search for the Best Driver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Ross, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

Okay I am new to this entire DIY world, only recently have I become really fired up about bulding some kick ass speakers and I have been researching, poking around here and other places, looking for sub drivers, amps, different enclosures, and such.

What I have come to belive in is that a driver that is efficent it going to be good, I have seen those Adire Shiva and Tempest and they only have a SPL of around 87 and 89 respectivly, I have also seen the Dayton 15 DVC with an SPL of 94.4, but the voice coil is rather small 2" in diameter.

I have heard great things from the tempest and the shiva, but what I am curious about is are there any better Divers out there? Somthing with a better SPL 94+, and a bigger voice coil.

I know this might have been covered in other threads, but with newer stuff coming out, the Stryke AV12-15, but what are my other options, I want as much information to compare to find the best one.

Oh and BTW I am looking to put this in a ported 3-5 ft^3 box and I want the tightest bass I can get, I want that driver to snap back into position after shaking the room.

Thanks In Advance

2. is that 94+ at 2.83V or 1w1m?

If the budget can take it, you may want to look into the Aura sound drivers (MR's, Elon, 1808, seismic, NC-leviathan)

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you want sensivity, the best way to get it is with a horn. Folded basshorns can get sensitivity up well over 100dB/W/m. But they do have to be rather large.

The Tempest and Dayton 15" really need enclosures bigger than 5ft^3 when used ported. The other problem is fitting sufficient porting in a 5ft^3 or smaller enclosure to handle a really sensitive, high output driver. Keep in mind that in large ported boxes 250W is oodles of power for either of these drivers.

Small boxes and lots of output preclude high efficiency and ported designs. They are going to need lots of power and passive radiators (if you want a bass reflex design). But given how cheap (relatively) some kilowatt pro amps are this often isn't that big of an issue. The passive radiators have some advantages and some draw backs, the main draw back being cost.

4. Allen Ross

it was 1W/1M

Where can I find a dealer for the Aura's I haven't seen any for sale, also some more info.

I am very leanent for size I just thew that out there for and estimation, and taking another look I can kick it up to around 7 or 8 ft^3.

thanks for the quick response

5. Allen, how about a parallel/series wiring of 4 4-ohm drivers?

6. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I just saw some Aura 1808 drivers for sale on ebay. As already mentioned, North Creek has the Leviathan driver for sale.
    JP

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Adire's Maelstrom is another one that is easy to drive.

8ft^3 with a 6" port tuned to under 20hz and a Tempest with ~300W would work very well.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Dustin, I think you overshot the internal volume requirement by 3-5 ft^3. [​IMG]

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hello Allen welcome to HTF....

Allen:
    What equates spl at 1-watt~1-meter sensitivity to mean it's a *better driver*????

I really don't understand your thinking in this question...

If box size and power ~{were in the equation}~, it would make more sense, BUT you appear to not have a problem with *box size*! If this is the case, power with a big box is not required to get ample spl even in the lowest freqs, say 25-hz down with the very drivers you mentioned, with as you put it, LOW spl at 1-watt~1meter....

If you wanted to drive a sub with a 10 watt tube amp, then the question might make more sense to me and the folded horn mentioned might quantifiy your reasoning. But the horn itself makes it more sensitive not just the driver.

Might you be more clear in your ~{reasoning for a high effeciency driver with a bigger voice coil}~????

Regards
    Geoff

10. Allen Ross

I can tell you that I am not going to shell out the cash for 4 different drivers when one will suit my needs.

My Room isn't that big (dorm) I am guessing 16X12X8 foot high. I just want to have this sub for when I get my own place, a quad or even a house way down the line.

11. Allen Ross

the higher the SPL the less wattage I need for the same volume, correct me if I am wrong

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

13. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes, driver to driver you are correct.

But don't always belive what you read spec wise for a drivers spl a 1-1...

If Dumaxed then belive. The drivers you mentioned, Tempest, Shiva, & I belive the PE~DVC all have been Dumaxed.

So what kinda of power do have to work with?

Or are you looking to go with a plate amp?

Do you have a (specific cabinet size requirement), you mentioned 3-5ft^3?

Geoff

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Honestly, my criteria for the "best driver" wouldn't include VCdia or "efficiency" (which is ultimately dependent on what you do with it) too high up on the list.

15. Allen Ross

i got it here here
    so now I can't trust Acustic Vision?
    Jack so what T/S would you perfer?

16. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Must have been a typo...all figures were accurate except that one. It has now been changed.

17. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

18. Allen Ross

alignment as an enclouser?

I am planing a Box that has no parallel walls, triagle base (fit in a corner) at an agle to the to the top, so it would be higher off the ground in the back then the front, and a flat level top so it will seem normal from looking at it.

With uneven spacing in the braces and either front ward fireing /ported, or downward fireing/ported. still haven't decied the geomerty.

I am thinking of this to cancle out any standing waves in the sub, am I crazy to do this or is there some logic behind this?

19. Alignment refers to the Q of the system. ie Qtc=0.707 (maximumly flat)

20. Allen Ross

so I can adjust the Qs of the driver buy differnt Boxs, are you asking what I would like to see as some Q values?