1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Search feature down, Please answer question regaurding Panasonic RP91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derick Alba, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Derick Alba

Derick Alba Extra

I was planing to purchase the Onky DV-S939 dvd player to compliment my Onkyo 989 and Hitachi 43UWX10B.
    I was told that the Panasonic dvd player is one of the best players out there and its 1/3 of the price. There was some feature, which I forgot the name; that gives you a better picture while watching 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen. Maybe it was called a deinterlacer or something. Anyway, can someone explain this to me please in newbie terms. Also, does the Onkyo have this feature?

2. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

It's not really deinterlacing... maybe it's related to it, but I've seen it described as the zoom function. 16:9 TVs usually have a similar function.
    If you have a non-anamorphic DVD that is also letterboxed, on a 16:9 TV, you'd actually have left and right bars (since the DVD is really a 4:3 DVD), as well as top and bottom (since it's letterboxed). With a zoom function, you take the image and zoom it bigger so you get rid of the left and right bars. Apparently the RP91's zoom is lots better than other players and even many 16:9 TVs.
    Hope this helps; hope I explained it adequately.