What's new

Sean Connery in Lord of the Rings and Matrix?.... (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
I think he's actually more recognizable as Gandalf vs. Magneto than Weaving is as Elrond/Smith. I think Weaving looks VERY different in the two flicks. Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

All I know is this: of all the people I know who saw both movies - friends, family and coworkers (and none of them are HTF'ers, outside of the L.A. HTF'ers that I occasionally meet up w/ at Dave Tolsky's house) I find this:

Quite a few (I would estimate a majority) quickly recognized Weaving. Most have mentioned it (i.e. the "You shall be the fellowship of the ring...Mr Anderson!" line I mentioned earlier).

No one has mentioned any complaint about how Ian McKellen is in both movie franchises. Sure some probably know it's the same guy, but he doesn't have that "Mr. Anderson" line that can be tagged so easily. Perhaps that's it.

But my suspicion is that McKellan's roles in either movie are more subtle, as are his performances, so as to not invite as much notice.

As always, YMMV, but this is my experience.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
See, the way I remember it was that the original problems with Arwen began before Liv had been cast. What happened was that the casting sheet for Arwen had leaked out, and while I don't recall the entire paragraph used to sketch out her character, the phrase "hellbent for leather" was distinctly prominent (I don't know if you can find this on the net anymore because New Line suppressed it soon afterward). And then there was the auditioning script that also leaked out, an early version of the scene in which Aragorn and Arwen "break up", which ended with Arwen angrily cursing Aragorn with the slur of "you--you MAN!" *shudder*... reading this makes me feel so much better about the inane things that ended up in the movies.

I was seriously taken out of the movie when I first saw Weaving at Rivendell (although I didn't recognize him during the prologue...). It's different now, but I certainly took some getting used to. Even more than his looks, he has a very distinctive pattern of speech. Many reacted to that, I have heard the "Mr Baggins" joke countless time, I really don't see how anyone can argue against that...

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks