What's new

Sean Connery in Lord of the Rings and Matrix?.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching a documentary on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen dvd. In it Sean Connery says he doesn't always like trick movies because they usually don't work. He says he turned down roles in both Lord of the Rings and Matrix. But, after seeing them decided to take a chance with LXG. Besides, the comment that he picked the wrong movie. I wonder what roles he was offered in both films?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Well I know he was offered the role of Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings. But I never knew he was considered for a part in the Matrix.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I could see Sir Sean as the elderly senator that shows Neo the engineering level. I couldnt see him doing kung fu....

He could have played a few roles in the LOTR trilogy.

Gandalf, Theoden, for instance, but I'm perfectly content with the way things went.

Thats one great thing these two trilogies have done. They've opened up the way for more high end actors to take part in fantasy movies. I hope some good ones come along. A decent Dungeons and Dragons movie could be awesome if done right.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
As much as I like Connery, I'm glad he didn't take the role of Gandalf. And I can't see him as Morpheus, since he would have to do some martial arts. Maybe the Architect, or some other machine that doesn't fight.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I could see him playing Theoden or possibly Denethor in LOTR.In the Matrix he could have been the Senator or the Architect. He may have made an interesting Merovingian too.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Of course he wasn't offered the role of Morpheus. Obviously it must have been either Councillor Hamann or The Architect. Also, I can't imagine that they could afford him in the first part of the trilogy.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
They've opened up the way for more high end actors to take part in fantasy movies.

Exactly. Much as I love Connery in nearly any role, I can't see anyone other than Ian Mckellen or Bernard Hill in their roles. Both were incredible.

Rob T

Screenwriter
A bit OT, but I loved the Connery impression that one of the actors did in the producers/actors commentary! :D

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Connery would not have been a good choice, in any role for the Rings films. He's too instantly recognisable and his refusal to ever put on a voice would have only added to that.

Plus, I can't honestly see anyone replace anyone in those films.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Y'know, I'm trying to imagine Connery delivering the "where is the horse and the rider" speech from Two Towers and it just ain't happenin'. At all.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I always imagined that Connery would make a good Gandalf, yet after seeing all 3 movies, McKellen has made the role his own.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Connery would have been very distracting in LOTR but he wouldn't have hurt the Matrix sequels, which needed something solid to latch on to since it surely wasn't the script (sadly). He has become a sort of self parody, though and sadly outlived his usefulness. He really hasn't done much worth watching for a long time. I hear the romantic comedy thingy a few years ago was decent but other than that he is just Sean playing Sean.

He also doesn't like to play anything beyond the assured hero-type. I hear (maybe rumor) that he couldn't handle the REAL characterization of Quartermain from the comic. In the comic, Quartermain's first scenes are as a deeply involved opium addict and spends the series slowly regaining his stature as an "action hero." Connery couldn't be bothered with that and gave us the same character has has given us since "Highlander" but with less wit and cool. Oh well.

LOTR did better with lesser known actors, in my opinion. Even Astin had to shake the "Rudy" problem but did well in spite of that.

Phil

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Quote:
I hear (maybe rumor) that he couldn't handle the REAL characterization of Quartermain from the comic. In the comic, Quartermain's first scenes are as a deeply involved opium addict and spends the series slowly regaining his stature as an "action hero." Connery couldn't be bothered with that and gave us the same character has has given us since "Highlander" but with less wit and cool. Oh well.

To be honest, it was probably just that he was the biggest name in the film, so therefore had to be the leader. (Can't really see Peta Wilson leading Connery.) Therefore, you couldn't have Quartermain be that weak.

Course, that underlines why having big names can be bad, since it isn't believeable to have them as secondary characters, and probably would be distracting in The Matrix, tho I don't think he was actually up for a role. He was just putting that up as an example.

Speaking of The Matrix, I think they also wanted Jet Li in the sequels. I suspect that he would have played Seraph

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
I thought he turned Down matrix reloaded and revolutions for Hero. They where both shot at almost the same time If I wasnt correct. The one was almost 3 years ago wasnt it?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Connery couldn't be bothered with that and gave us the same character has has given us since "Highlander" but with less wit and cool.

His Henry Jones wasn't that same kind of character...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks