"seamless" layer change players?......

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DannyS, Jul 23, 2003.

1. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

My old sony dvp 536 has pauses that are noticeable when I play discs. I play the same discs on my Xbox and .. wha... they are not there! There "seems" to be no layer change! I know this must be down to some sort of buffer, but what "proper" players, eg: pioneer , sony, etc have these buffers? Which is the best player for a "seamless" layer change? any ideas?

2. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

My Apex player has this 'seamless' layer change you speak of. The reason I think that player and the XBox have this feature is because they are basically dvd-rom units which are different than most home stand-alone players. I read somewhere that you could open up my Apex unit, remove the disc drive and install it in a computer and it would work. I think the XBox is the same way. I could be wrong but this is my theory.

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I don't remember where I read this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I heard that the DVD specs actually prohibit a real stand-alone DVD player from using a "buffer" like you describe. Apparently, it was a result of the studios being hyper-paranoid about piracy, and not wanting DVD players to actually store any video in memory.

Make of that what you will.

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Some of the Denon DVD players have memory buffers. I haven't seen a layer change since I upgraded my old Sony 570 to the new Denon DVD-2900.[​IMG]

5. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Danny,

This belongs in the A/V section.....
    Moving it in there now....

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Both the Meridian 598 and 800 have nearly seamless layer changes -- they aren't in the "popularly priced" category though [​IMG]

Regards,

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Superbit discs are outside the DVD specs, specifically in regards to the layer change issue (i.e. no pause). Any reasonably fast DVD-ROM will also not exhibit obvious layer change.

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Denon 2900 has 16 megs of memmory.I haven't seen a layer change since I got it.Won't get anymore seamless then that.

9. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

does the denon 2900 uk/europe version have the same specs?

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

11. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

My old Apex 600A never showed a layer change except for some discs that had notoriously bad ones. I think the Patriot was one, but don't quote me on it. My CH 500 was so bad at layer changes that it might as well have sent out a large siren and flashed a sign on the screen that said 'Layer change in progress, please stand by.' My Toshiba SD3900 doesn't show layer changes, at least none that I've noticed.

12. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Juat another vote for the 2900. I've had mine since it first hit stores and haven't noticed a single layer change since.

If layer changes bug you, this player is the cure.

13. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

I'm sincerely hoping that whatever HD-DVD standard ultimately gets adopted will have provisions for a seamless layer change (either built into the spec or via allowing for player memory buffers...doesn't matter which to me) right from the start. That's my only real gripe with the current DVD standard and also one of the primary reasons why I really like the Superbit discs.

14. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

can anyone who owns a panasonic rp62 tell me how its layerchanges are? im hoping its not bad.

15. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Rp62 has layer changes that last about a second. Not to bad but definitely not the fastest player I used. However it is far from the worst.

Luis S