What's new

Seamless layer change on superbit DVDs (1 Viewer)

AndyWT

Auditioning
How come Superbit DVD's have a seamless layer change (on my Sony DVD player)? Why don't all DVD's do that?

YANG

Screenwriter
Seamless layer change in SUPERBIT DVDs ia a thing that doesn't exist in new releases.

Numbers of recent releases do not have seamless change.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I blame 100% of layer changes on the player. Since I started using the X Box as my primary DVD player I haven't seen a single layer change.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They can still author discs for seamless layer changes. "The Deer Hunter" plays straight through on my Pioneer, while most other discs will pause for a second and show "SEARCH" on the player's display. After seeing that it's possible to do pauseless layer changes it's annoying whenever they are noticable.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
It seems as though recently, less and less attention has been paid to correcting layer changes. Recent titles are having more severe layer changes (and it doesn't help that they still seem to place them willy-nilly...mid-sentence, during dramatic scenes, etc.) and while that may be in part a player issue, there are some software issues as well.

Bruce

AndyWT

Auditioning
My copy of Resident Evil has no apparent layer change, as do all the other superbit discs I have.

DarrenA

Second Unit
I own a LOT of the Superbit titles. Can anyone point out a Superbit title that does NOT have a seamless layer change? All of the Superbit titles I have viewed on both a Sony DVD player and a Panasonic DVD player have never had even the slightest "pause" during a layer change.

Craig W

Second Unit
The Mask of Zorro SB Deluxe does have a noticeable layer change on both my Sony and Panny players, but this is the only SB title I have seen a layer change on.

The only other SB titles I own are Panic Room and 5th Element which do not have a noticeable layer change.

I was curious after MoZ if Sony dropped the seemless layer change since it is technically out of the finalized DVD spec.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
How come Superbit DVD's have a seamless layer change (on my Sony DVD player)? Why don't all DVD's do that?
All DVD's don't feature seamless layer changes because only a very few of the availiable encoding systems allow the person doing the encoding to specify the position of the layer change. Those that do are older and many newer systems allow better quality control in more important aspects.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
All DVD's don't feature seamless layer changes because only a very few of the availiable encoding systems allow the person doing the encoding to specify the position of the layer change. Those that do are older
The Truman Show had the layer change after a fade to black, it wasn't seamless, but it was a great place to put it. Although I really haven't checked, don't most layer changes happen at the end of a chapter? Maybe this is because the VOB files can't be split up (onto separate layers?) and need to be fully on one or the other layer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks