What's new

Seamless branching not used on Halloween 25'th Anniversary. (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
DVDfile says that Anchor Bay will not be using seamless branching between the two versions of the theatrical and tv version of the movie. I enjoy the theatrical version by itself, so this isn't a huge deal, but a little disappointing. I'll still buy this though, without a doubt, as I've been waiting for a definitative version. What does others think about this?

Chuck L

Screenwriter
While I love the film and I totally love Anchor Bay for what they have done with horror films, this edition of Halloween I will be sitting out on. I have spent way to much money already on the first film and have bought it in every form for which it is has come out.

This time though...no sale. If there were truly anything lacking from the previous efforts that was on this, maybe so...but...alas, no.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Chuck, I can't blame you as it's been released so many times... ala Evil dead series. However, I own none of them but an old vhs tape, so this dvd with the commentary for me is a must have.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't surprise me. It's easier for them not to incorporate it.

I assume the transfer is going to be the same, right? I don't think it can get any better since the film was restored.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Here's the latest I've found...

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/05_20.html

Rounding out this slim day in disc news, an update on that new 25th Anniversary Edition of Halloween, coming August 5th from Anchor Bay Entertainment. We've received word that the planned seamless branching feature to view both the original and television cuts of the film "turned out to be unavailable" for the release, and the additional scenes as seen in the TV version will be presented as supplemental material on disc two only. The remaining features, street date and retail price remain the same.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, guess I shall keep my remaining copy after all. It "turned out to be unavailable" sounds a little fishy to me, but why complain when the TV version is available for those who want it?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Unless the documentary is going to be dramatically different from the episode of "Backlot" ...I think I'll pass on this release. I've got the Criterion LD w/the commentary already so that's not much of a bonus.

I've bought this film way too many times.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Why would you want to watch the TV version anyway? The extra scenes are nothing but padding and stop the film dead in its tracks.

I'll be buying Halloween for the new high-definition transfer, the much-lauded Criterion commentary and the 90-minute documentary. Now that's what's you call an upgrade!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
That's my understanding - it's going to be part of the Divimax line (the first release of which is July's new edition of Manhunter).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
They actually got Criterion to rent out the 1994 LD Commentary? When did this happen?
Hell, I have the original two disc SE DVD with the TV version and all the other extras but I will definitely lay down some cash for that commentary alone. True, I already have the LD but who knows how long that will last considering the shaky history of LD longevity (I.E. LD rot) in those particular years of Laserdisc production.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I would upgrade from the 2 disc version for a superior transfer. Other than that Ill skip it.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
How many versions of Halloween is this? The 5th?
non-anamorphic bare bones (November 20, 1997)
Restored Limited Edition 2-disc set (September 14, 1999)
Restored single disc (September 28, 1999)
Extended Television Edition (August 7, 2001)
25th Anniversary Special Edition 2-disc set (August 5, 2003)

I have the LE 2-disc (and am going to keep it) and will be purchasing the 25th Ann. SE 2-disc.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
non-anamorphic bare bones (November 20, 1997)
Restored Limited Edition 2-disc set (September 14, 1999)
Restored single disc (September 28, 1999)
Extended Television Edition (August 7, 2001)
25th Anniversary Special Edition 2-disc set (August 5, 2003)
You're forgetting about the Limited Extended Televsion Edition, also released on 8/7/01, which came with a frame of film or something to that effect.

DJ

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I bought the 2-disc limited edition off of Ebay and after I watched the extra scenes from the television version, I thought, I paid all that money for those three scenes?

Putting them on disc 2 as supplemental material is definitely the way to go. If this new transfer is a big step up, I'll definitely get it. The 2 disc version has both the widescreen and P&S versions on the same disc, so improvements could be made in both transfer quality and bit rate.

-Reagan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks