Seamless Branching (dead?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Has seamless branching to fit multiple versions of a movie on one disc fallen by the wayside?

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while and looks like a trend to issue seperate discs rather than branching.

It worked fine on my systems so what gives?

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I never had problems with it on my player either, but I suspect others did - especially the J6P's who own lower-end $69-100.00 players. However, I'm only making an assumption here.

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This question came up recently. Here is the thread, but the important part is this two-sentence post from Morgan Holly, one of the top people in the business:

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I bought "Poison Ivy" just to check out the branching on it- it has both the theatrical and "unrated" versions, both in widescreen AND pan and scan (makes a lot more sense than the FOUR "American Pie II" discs!) I've only watched the theatrical version, but the branching is anything but seamless- at least 5 times during the movie it freezes while it goes to a different scene, along with some audio dropouts like on a layer change. Very disappointing, though they did a great job with "The Abyss" which adds, deletes and replaces a lot of scenes but the only noticable pause is the layer change.

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I think FOX did a great job with the seasmless branching on X-Men. [​IMG]

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

9. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

I recently watched BODYSHOTS, which is seamless a branching title.

When I chapter skipped to find the branch points, the branch points would freeze for second, & then continue (kinda like a layer change). I noted them and looked for them during playback of the feature.

When playing back however, everything WAS seemless. Even knowing where they were, I did not see them...but, when I rewound back to go over them again, then they froze and did the layer change thing.

Is this due to some kind of buffering the player does before it hits a branch point?

Player was a Daewoo 5700.

10. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

What Poison Ivy does is not seamless branching. When I've asked DVD experts about it, I've been told that it's a "nonseamless multistory technique." I'm not sure about Body Shots.

Seamless branching, as seen on The Abyss requires a powerful authoring system to support it and, as I understand it, quite a bit of grunt work on the part of the DVD-authoring personnel. It also breaks at least a few players out there, which makes it a pain in the ass for studios.

As I understand it, this is why pan-and-scan-on-the-fly has never been widely implemented: In tests, there are too many players out there that just can't keep up with the complicated instructions.

-bf-

11. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Dressed to Kill is as lovely and seamless as you can get, and that was made in August of last year. As far as I can tell, that was the last seamless-branching title released.

12. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

13. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    T2:UE, Independence Day, the Abyss, and Stargate didn't have any pauses at the branch points on my player (low end sony, two years old).

Did these use seamless or extended branching? Also, what is the difference?

14. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

T2, The Abyss and Independence Day all have seamless branching. I'm not sure about Stargate. Also, The Rocky Horror Picture Show uses seamless branching, as well as the Die Hard Five Star edition (I think).

Seamless branching means just that - there are no pauses, and the branch points are seamless. Extended branching generally does have pauses of some sort. I'm not sure, but as far as I know, this is because in seamless branching, the extra content is actually stored in the main data stream with the rest of the film, whereas extended branching has the extra content stored at the end of the film. This results in the pauses when the laser has to relocate to a different part of the disc.

The key difference is that extended branching is easier for players to handle,and is easier to program when authoring the disc. Seamless branching can often confuse some players, and is complicated to program.

Of course, I'm not an expert, so don't quote me on anything...

15. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

16. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

Doesn't Star Wars I:TPM use seamless branching for a multi language capable opening crawl?

Mark

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

18. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Actually, I do believe that the credits in different languages thing utilizes seamless branching. Disney does this with most of their titles and it involves going to a different set of credits automatically. Why wouldn't this be considered seamless branching, since angles are not utilized?

19. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Isn't SB used on Columbia's SB (superbits) discs? Those discs have the quickest, most unnoticeable layer changes of any of the RSDL discs in my collection. [​IMG]

20. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell