What's new

Sealing problem on kit81 cabinet (1 Viewer)

Im nearing the completion of the cabinets for my kit81s and as I was getting ready to put the back panel on the cabinet, I found that my caulk gun wont fit into the mid woofer hole. How does one go about sealing the box after it is all put together?
Thanks

kevin oswald

Agent
put some caulk on your fingers and run it along the edges.. would be my best bet.. or something along those lines..

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I just completed my 81's and know exactly what you're running into. It's pretty much impossible to get your hand in there.
What I did is applied a generous amount of caulk to the inside edge of the cabinet before I put it on the final piece (front/back). Situate it so that it will have good contact with the panel. Seems to have worked fine for me.
-EJ
------------------
emj2.gif

my HT site

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Don't caulk it. If the saw cuts are good and the back dry fits without any gaps, just use a lot of yellow wood glue (can't use too much in my opin :)) and lots of clamps to get good squeeze out at all seams. If there are a few gaps, use polyurethane glue (eg Pro Bond or the like) and big pipe clamps. The polyurethane glue will expand as it cures, and the big pipe clamps can be used to 'bend' the MDF to seal the cracks/gaps (MDF is surprisingly bendable, even when double thicknesses are used). On the last four boxes I made (15L bookshelf speakers) I just used yellow wood glue and clamps, and came out with Ql values on all of >10.
------------------
Mark Hayenga
www.hayenga.com
----------------------
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will do a combination of lots of wood glue and lots of caulk around the sides before puting them on, then I'll use wood screws and clamps to make sure they are sealed up.
Thanks,
Kevin Liedtke

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Pat! And in my experience, mixing screws and MDF is a recipe for split wood, misaligned joints, and lots of cursing!
Brian
------------------

I dont have any clamps that are big enough though, so screws are really my only choice, arent they?. I have been drilling pilot holes and have only had one of screws split the wood. Is there a better way to do this other than screws and clamps?
Thanks,
Kevin

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Kevin,
One thing we do with test boxes (which cannot have a permanently mounted back, for obvious reasons) is to run rope caulk around the back panel. It's easy to remove, air tight, and easy to apply. Simply tuck it into the corner where the sides/top/bottom meet the back, and you're set!
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks