Sealing an EBS Shiva to stop farts.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Dodds, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

My EBS aligned Shiva farts on very deep bass. It isn't really volume related but is, I assume, the driver unloading. So I want more depth.

So I'm thinking of blocking the vent to make a sealed sub, and possibly swapping out the Shiva for an Adire DPL12. I'd EQ or L/R transform.

Anone tried this or can think of a reason I'm being dumb?

Cheers

Steve

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Nah, give it a shot, with room gain, the low end performance might allow for a sealed Shiva sub to work for in achieving your performance goals.

I usually stuff port holes with Nerf products (a Nerf football works well in a 4" wide port).

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

It's easy enough to try. I have directly compared an EBS Shiva and DPL-12 (5ft^3, 18Hz Fb) to the same sealed drivers and there's no comparison as far as depth and dynamics, I much prefer the vented in almost all instances. The DPL-12, however, is an excellent sealed driver, much better than Shiva I feel, and will do about as deep as bass goes with a bit of room gain. Of course, it's excursion limited down low, unlike the reflex design, so won't go as loud.
    What amp are you using with your Shiva EBS?