What's new

Sealed Tumults - dual subs (1 Viewer)

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
Ive decided on my subs. After deliberating over music priority vs movie priority, I decided on music. Ill put one sub next to each main so there is not much delay effect. I know I wont get the output as much as 2 tumults in one sealed box in the corner, but I am kinda anal when it comes to my HT. OK very anal. I just want to be sure I have the right calculations. From what I get, I can have a 4 cu ft box for each driver and get 16Hz only 4 -4.5 db's down. not bad. Am I doing this right?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If you have MS Excel on your PC, you might want to grab a copy of Unibox and play with it.

Remember that neither it or your book account for room gain.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
Rock on! Ill have to spend some time with this one but I think it will help. thanks

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
I get 9-10 dB down at 16 Hz for the Tumult in 4 ft sealed (no room gain). Maybe the spreadsheet I am using is wrong, but it has worked great in the past.

I have dual sealed in only 2.5 ft each stuffed pretty heavy.
One behind each main as you are going for. 1100 watts RMS to each (QSC PLX 3402)with EQ to flatten the response down near 20 Hz.

They do not miss anything for home theater. They are unbelievable. Sometimes it sounds like the house is coming down during a good movie!!!

And for music, they play notes I have never heard so clean in songs before. My 1803 in 13 ft^3 tuned to 17 Hz played low notes, but not as clear and defined as the Tumults do.

You will be very happy!!!!

Brian

My HT. . .

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Hey Brain, I love to hear your subwoofers. What other subwoofers have you heard and how do your sealed Tumults compare?

Are you finding that you actually need the 1100 watts you having going to each Tumult?

I wonder how well my 1850HD would do the same duty of 1 Tumult per side @ only 600wpc max?

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure that not everyone would need 1100 watts to each Tumult. I personally do. Mine are in a room that is around 20' x 25' with 9/10' ceilings and I am a little overboard on the bass. My mains get pretty darn loud, and the Tumults are nicely balanced with them when playing music. For HT, they are overkill. There are times I worry about damaging the house. :D

I think your 600 watts each would be fine for even above average output.

They are GREAT subs. I have owned quite a few subs, and have built quite a few subs for other people. I have had Blueprints, Shiva, Tempest, AV15's, PE Daytona DVC, 12" Titanic, etc. Also have used many comercial subs, and at least 10 different brands of car audio subs (JL, Infinity, RF, etc.). While the sealed Tumult is not the loudest sub I have owned, it is by far the best sounding. I also own a RE XXX 15 for my truck that uses the same motor as the Tumult and is optimized for car environment. It is better (SPL and SQ) than any car sub I have used before. There is just something about the XXX/Tumult (I assume XBL^2) that sounds sooooo good.

There will have to be a major advancement in subs for me to even consider replacing my Tumults. Normally, I am continually looking for ways to upgrade my system (mainly the subs), and for once I am very happy (which makes my wife happy). . .

Brian

George W

Stunt Coordinator
hello Brian,

I too have built some Rhythms and I'm very pleased with the sound. One thing I have noticed is that the bass from these speakers is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a balance between music and HT. It follows then that my ideal subwoofer would have the same sound as my main speakers, only possess the capability to go much louder.
I'm not sure what qts the Rhythms were designed at but I was wondering how closely you feel your tumults match your main speakers and if you believe they have a similar sound in terms of 'punchyness' and definition. I was looking at the new Thunder kits from Northcreek but I get the feeling I will want significantly more output.
Also I wanted to say thanks for answering my questions when I was just considering building the Rhythms.
Regards,

George

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Glad you like the rhythm's.

I'll be honest; I am not really sure how to answer your question. The Tumults sound extremely clean, and get really loud, but I don't know if I could compare them to the "punchyness" of the 8545. While the Rhythm's have great low end for most music, they definitely do not have the bass output I want for HT.

The way my system is setup right now, I sealed the Rhythm's per George's advice, XO'd them at 50 Hz, and then I use the Tumults from 50 Hz and below. I have 300+ watts per channel available for the Rhythm's, and 1000+ watts for each Tumult. Like I said above, I personally think it sounds GREAT and for the first time in over 10 years have no desire to change my speaker/subwoofer setup.

I have never used the Peerless subs, but I know many people like them. Not sure how the Peerless/PR setup would compare to sealed Tumults, but I doubt it would be anywhere near a PR/Tumult setup. . .

Good luck!!
Brian

Brian,

Hey I took a look at your page... You have some nice projects going on there, both Car Audio and Home...

I'm wanting to build home Sub setup with a few Tumults myself...

What do you think about the Adire Amps to power them???

Also, I see you havedealt with some RE stuff too...

I have a few of the 12" XXXs...

Think any of their stuff would be awsome in a home Setup???

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! I am running (16) 10's inthe suburban right now. MAn is it nice. . .

I am actualy running (4) Avalanche 15's in the HT right now and it kills the (2) Tumults.

Tumults were really nice, but they are expensive.

I have no experience with the Adire amps. I would assume they are good. Keep an eye on PE from now until Christmas. They almost always put the big plate amps on sale for incredible deals as part of their daily "12 days of Christmas".

I went with the QSC PLX3402. Less than $1000 and a lot of power. Fan noise is not a problem for me, as I can shut my bottom cabinet door.

I tried my XXX 15 in the house. same cabinet as the tumult. The XXX sounds a lot like the tumult. It requires a little more EQ to get flat down low, but does sound good. I have heard you can weight the cone of the XXX and come out with almost the same parameters as the tumult. I personally have not tried it.

Another option would be the RE SE series. As I understand they are having good results with it for HT. With the sound illusions group buy, they would be worth a try.

I love my Avalanches. If you could pick up (4) of those used, they are pretty darn incredible.

Brian

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The big Parts Express plate amplifiers have a rumble filter that can't be defeated. The Adire Audio plate amps have a switchable one, I think. An important consideration depending on your project.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Another tumult owner here. After owning a tempest in a huge ported box and switching to a tumult in a smaller ported box I couldn't be happier, and I'm only running it off a 250w PE plate amp. It's excellent for both music and movies.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Mattak, how would you compare the two subs? I'm using a big ported Tempest now and am lusting after dual sealed Tumults (or avalanches). I keep dreaming of two nice sealed boxes that can out-rumble my Tempest in movies, and still sound nice and tight for music. Does your Tumult outdo the Tempest in the low end pretty obviously?

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a tempest (got one in the garage right now) in a ported box.

With the right power and EQ, the tumult will definitely outperform in the sealed box.

Without EQ, not sure if it will hang for HT with a good ported tempest design. For me, there just is not enough good strong low end in the sealed design without the EQ.

Brian

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator

Rythmik amplifiers have a defeatable rumble filter, but their highest output model is 380w rms. You can check them out at http://www.rythmikaudio.com/. I just purchased one for my 12" passive radiator setup. They are "apex sr." amplifiers with some modifications.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

Yes it should. I've built almost half a dozen tempest based sub's incl one in an IB and in my room the 2.5 Cu Ft Tumult is the best sounding of the bunch by a large margin. I'm sure the Avalanche drivers will do very well and are cheaper so I'd likely go with them if I were to do it over but these new low distortion drivers are amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks