Sealed Tempest?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Gutierrez, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Adam Gutierrez

Adam Gutierrez Auditioning

I am a current owner of a Shiva in a SBB4 ported cabinet. I have enjoyed it for about a year now, but now I am wanting more. I just ordered 2 Tempests from Dan and am considering two seperate sealed boxes 122 liters net. I dont really care for the boomy type sound I am getting from my current sub but I love the increased extension I get with the ported box, I am looking for a tighter sound without giving up too much extension. I have a very small theater approx 13 feet by 13 feet. I have a Mackie M1400i for power. I have a stage with only about 18 inches in height to work with, about the same depth wise, I can go as wide as I need to for proper box volume. I was considering 2 sealed mid Q enclosures. Will I be dissapointed with the extension of these two 15's in sealed boxes? Passive radiators are not an option due to limited funds. Before I started enclosure construction I wanted to get some feedback.
    BTW, my theater is used for virtually 100% movies, almost no music.
    Thanks,
    Adam

2. Adam Gutierrez

I have lspCAD, I guess what I am asking is if anyone has built a sealed Tempest, how they liked it? The punch, extension, overall tightness. I realize room size has alot to do with it, I just wanted some general feedback about sealed Tempests.
    Adam

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Didn't TerryC build a sealed Tempest enclosure and compare it to a ported Tempest enclosure? Or did he compare the sealed enclosure with his MASS sub? He posted response curves and everything.
    Brian
    ------------------

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The folks who've done sealed Tempests seem quite enamored of them. Try a search here or on hometheatertalk.com. I've had one in an infinite baffle, and it's beyond reproach. Your aural descriptors, punch, extension, overall tightness, will be determined by your box and room. Folks usually associate something around a Qtc of .707 with "punch", although a lower Qtc value will have greater extension and transient response (tightness). In general, a sealed Tempest will sound like you design it to sound, since the Tempest is so adaptable.

6. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

I have a sealed tempest in a 130l box. Overall it's a very good sub, but if your only using it for HT you'll be disappointed in the extension. IMO. Unless you do like Jack suggested and implement a Linkwitz transform, or maybe an equalizer to provide the greater extension.

7. Adam Gutierrez

Ok, I give up.... I have 2 Tempests on the way and dont have a clue what type of enclosure to build. I guess I just want too many different things. Tight, low, and loud. Sounds so simple considering 2 Tempests, my small room size (13x13) and available power (Mackie M1400i).

8. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Adam
    I have you downloaded the white paper for Tempest per applications? You need to decide what you goals are.
    ------------------

9. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

If your room is sealed off from other rooms good enough(doors), then maybe room gain will compensate enough on the low end. I'd say go ahead with the 2 sealed boxes like you mentioned, and if your not happy with the results then add an equalizer later.
    I'm sure you'll like the results from the upgrade either way.

10. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I've got a tempest in a 10 cube ported box tuned to 18 hz, and it sounds terrific. I'm actually powering it with the same mackie you have. Currently I'm building a 3 cube box (with 16 oz poly/cube) for use with a sealed tempest in my car. This makes for a Qtc of around .71. It will be getting around 800 watts instead of your 1400, but I'll certainly post a review as soon as its in. I'm painting it today and tomorrow it should be ready.

11. Richard Greene

Richard Greene Stunt Coordinator

I responded to this post on the Home Theater Talk website and forgot to add that your small room
    should provide approximately 12dB per octave room gain below your lowest frequency standing wave (axial mode) which would be at roughly 566/13= 44Hz.
    The room gain should offset the low frequency roll-off of the Tempest in a sealed enclosure. If you use a ported design in such a small room, you will have excessive output at 20Hz.
    The probability of obtaining reasonably smooth bass frequency response in a small square room like yours
    is slim to none without the use of an equalizer.
    Your "boom" is from the room, not from your Shiva sub.

12. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

tight = construction
    ------------------