Sealed Tempest vs Ported Shiva in 3cuft

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Baldemar Garcia, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    Looking for a little input. Which would you go with if looking for more 'oomph' from movies? I'll probably be using the KG-5250 amp (if I can tolerate its xformer hum in my living room). Cabinet limited to 19" high, 21" wide, and 24" deep. As a reference, I'm currently using an NHT 1259 driven by the PE 150W amp. It's ok, but I need a little more till I can get my dual ported Tempest setup. Unfortunately, the new Adire Dharman? won't fit [​IMG]
    ------------------
    bgarcia

2. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

I would go with the ported Shiva 3 cubic feet is to small for Tempest.

3. Rick Chwiendacz

By my simulations, a ~3 cubic foot sealed and stuffed box gives a qtc of somewhere around 0.707 (depending on the amount of stuffing, you could adjust it to be a little above or a little below)
    That's most certainly not "too small" in my opinion. That qtc is a pretty nice tradeoff between extension, power handling and box size, imho.
    If you're considering a dual ported tempest down the road anyway, then you can build this box and when you build your ported ones, just rip the driver out and scrap the box. you'll only be out perhaps $15 for the MDF anyway.
    - Rick

4. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

Thats odd lspcad tells me I need 4.45 cubic feet for a Q of 0.707.