1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

sealed sub for shiva (need opinions)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Anthony*gw, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Anthony*gw

Anthony*gw Stunt Coordinator

getting ready to order a shiva sub already got an amp, dynaco 400,2 channel,200rms wpc.very old amp but works well.i will be using the sub for about 80% HT/20% music. decided on a low Q sealed enclosure, room size is about 14x13 almost a square.the sub doesn't have to play extremely deep but must be able to handle deeps notes with ease.what Q would be better for my listening pleasure 0.6Q or 0.5Q?

I currently got a dual 10" bandpass which i use for bass,to be honest i dont like the sound i get from it,in the lord of the rings,in the begining you know that famous bass sweap,well mr. bandpass dont handle it well at all,bottom line it sucks.i am on a budget so i did alot of research and found that the shiva best suited my budget.and from what i read on these boards the shiva is no stranger to low notes.question: has any build a sealed sub with a Q of 0.5,how well does it handle the low fq.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

To get a Q of 0.50 you would need an 8 cubic foot box and you would only have an F3 of around 41hz. If you listen to 80% HT a ported box would much better suit you. You may want to consider the Adire alignment. Since it's a smaller ported alignment it has a very low group delay and will not have the boominess of some larger ported boxes.

Another idea to consider is a multiple tuning point box. I just built a 3 cubic foot AV12 for a friend w/ 3 3" diameter 11.5" long ports. If he plugs 2 of the ports he gets a flat response curve and an F3 of around 21hz (great for HT). With 1 plugged he gets an F3 of 25.7hz and a 3.75db boost around 35hz (great for most music, adding a little bass punch). With all 3 ports open he gets an F3 of around 30hz and a 6.5db boost around 40hz (great for rap music and the such). All three different tuning points offer what he's looking for in different areas, and changing them is as simple as adding or removing port plugs.

3. Anthony*gw

Stephen Hopkins, I have read alot of shiva sealed sub projects on this board and the majority of them seems to get a pretty good response at low frequencies.i understand that a ported box would be the best bet for movies but i prefer a sealed enclosure.I had a look at adires sealed alignment and the 0.6 Q gets you very good response at low frequencies.plus i am no expert at building boxes and a ported system would be a little difficult for me to construct,and this being my first diy project a sealed box would be easier for me to build.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Things like this are very subjective, but I usually don't consider anything "deep" until you're well below 30hz, and I don't think a sealed shiva is going to give you that unless you're in a very small room.

Porting a box is not dificult at all. If you're building a box from scratch you have to cut a hole for the driver, so cutting a hole for a port wouldn't be any more difficult. Also, you could always plug the port, giving you a sealed box when you want to listen to music.

If you're set on a sealed box, you may want to read up on Linkwitz-Riley transforms. They are a good way of getting deeper bass out of a sealed enclosure by boosting the power of the lower bass. They do cut into your power headroom a bit, it looks like you'll have plenty of power anyway.

If you're worried about a ported shiva sounding like your bandpass box, don't. Some of the boominess is comming from the box design, but alot of it is probably from the drivers.

5. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

If its any help I'm using a Tempest, The shiva's bigger brother and have it going between Q .6 and Q.5 alignment, somewhere like .57 is what i figured and it's working amazing for home theater and music likewise. I can't ask for more from a 150 dollar driver and only 380 watts. Considering that you have the power I would drop the extra measely 25 dollars and build an around about 4 cubic foot sealed enclosure for a tempest. It'll give you much more bottom end and will sound great doing it.

Just trying to say that the extra 25 dollars is well worth it in the long run if you have the room...feel free to ask me any questions about my setup, i'll be glad to help

6. Anthony*gw

Hey thanks for your input guys,Matt Dolejsi i might just go with the tempest,do you have pics of your sub.

7. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

I don't really have pictures, but if you really need i can get em for you by this weekend....I basically made a perfect cube and its finished mirror black with a plate amp attached on one side....I like the perfect cube because I'm in graphic design and it matches some of my stuff well

But yeah, i really doubt you'll be dissappointed...I mean really 25 bucks more...when you add up that time and work...its a no brainer if you have the space...

cheers

8. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I recently finished up a 3.5cf sealed Tempest. With 85% stuffing this gets your q to around 0.7. It sounds great and doesn't take up too much room. Here's a link to my site. Just focus on the first 6 pics. If you look further you'll see I've tried tons of alignments with the Tempest and my fav is this current.

Tempest