sealed enclosure for a shiva sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I have a 11'x14' room and I am buying a shiva sub to replace my old sub, the question I have is would I be able to use my 1.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure that I have now with the new shiva sub? Also if I did use my enclosure dose anyone have any idea if the sound quality would be very good or not. Thanks
    Ryan

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ryan,
    1.5 cubic ft. is a bit small for optimal performance (read extension) from a Shiva. However, your room is very small, so there is a good chance you will be happy with the results from a less-than-optimal enclosure.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I think I’m going to go with a 3.0 cubic foot vented enclosure instead of the 1.5 cubic foot sealed one. Do you have any idea how it will sound in my size room? Thanks for the help.
    Ryan

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Ryan, you didnt mention what your tuning point will be with the 3 cubic foot enclosure but if you tune it to 20Hz then you will be exactly what the "Adire" alignment is. This alignment will provide good extension while keeping a nice, tight bass sound and will have greater extension over the sealed design so it will be good for both music and home theater.
    Of the two versions you posted I would go for the 3cu tuned to 20Hz.
    ------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Ryan,
    Will you be useing an on board amp?
    You mentioned that you have allready, a 1.5cbf cabnit. I would try it! In that size room with natural gain corner loaded and a little boost, 3 to 6db or so around 20-25hz, you may be very suprized.
    This is not the optimal size for the Shiva sealed, but I had one just that size and folowing Dan W suggestions, (heavy stuffing 1.5 to 2 lbs and AV-250 watt ~ about 5db boosting around 20hz found it to sound pretty darn good. Yes it eats amp headroom but the trade off was worth it. It played plenty loud, -- enough to shake the neighbors stuff and get me a number of warnings to calm it down over there.
    ========
    You can always build a bigger sealed or ported cabnit and use everything but your 1.5 cabnit, right!
    ========
    Good luck,
    Geoff

6. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Well I'm not going to use an on board amp, I’m using an onkyo stereo receiver to power my subwoofer. The 1.5 Cubic ft. enclosure I have right now is actually a dual subwoofer enclosure for a car, there is a divider in the middle of the box to separate the left and right sub and each side of the box is 1.5 cubic ft. the idea I had was to cut out the middle divider and put a piece of mdf over the opening where you would place the second subwoofer to make the total volume of the box 3.0 cubic ft. I will plan on using this enclosure until I can get to my Grandpas house and build one with him. There are two reasons why I’m waiting to build an enclosure 1 I don’t have the proper tools needed to build a good sub enclosure and 2 because my Grandpa is really good at working with wood. So I will plan to use my car sub box temporally until I can build a proper sub enclosure. Kyle I will plan on tuning the box to 20 Hz.
    Ryan

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Ryan,
    Might I suggest leaving the divider in the center, (for strenght) and take a jig saw and cut some type of pass threw opening in it. Slots, circle, etc letting air to pass threw while still allowing for extra cabnit strength. A good idea in a cabnet of that size.
    Just a thought. Will defenitly help cabnit strength. Being that it's allready in there, no sence in removing it and weaking the cabnit!!!
    Geoff

8. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi, I was just looking through the radio shack catalogue and saw that they are selling a 12" passive radiator for $12.99. My question is, do you think the 12" PR will work better than a port in my car subwoofer box. The reason I’m asking is because if it would work I could put it where the second subwoofer is supposed to be in my box and it would save me some money and some extra work. Here is what the catalogue said about the PR
    Passive Radiators
    Pioneer’s passive radiators feature a planar diaphragm with a foam radiating surface, which acts as a vent substitute. Used for reinforcing bass response, passive radiators act as long, large tuned ports.
    The specs are,
    Size 12", effective vent diameter 10.04", Moving mass 45 gr.
    So if anyone could tell me if this would work good or not I would appreciate it, thanks.
    Ryan