Sealed 75l DPL12

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ScottDIY, Feb 9, 2004.

1. ScottDIY

ScottDIY Agent

I have been working on a 75l sealed enclosure for a DPL12. The box is finished, well enclosed still needs veneer, and waiting for the driver, so I thought that I would ask for opinions on stuffing. Does a 75l box for a DPL12 need to be stuffed, if so how much?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

IMO any sealed box should be stuffed with damping material.

Use 0.5-1.5 lbs/cu ft

3. ScottDIY

ScottDIY Agent

Ok, I've stuffed my box ~1 lb/ft2. What are the effects of adding more or less dampening material or are the effects minimal in a sealed box. It sounds pretty good, however my exposure to subwoofers are minimal. I have my crossover set @ 80hz, the sub seams to mate fairly well to my speakers. Over the last year, I have made a few changes / improvements to my equipment, i.e. interconnects, speaker wire and even rewired my Klipsch Heresy. After these changes, I was hearing a lot of low hz, maybe 45-50hz, that I hadn’t before. I listened to a few songs that this was evident in and found that the quality at this range thru the sub was as good as thru the Heresy, but now I don’t find these notes low at all. I do have to find a balance, I guess I'll have to make a trip to Radio Shack for a sound meter.