Sealant between sub and enclosure

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BlakeN, Mar 9, 2004.

1. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to post such a basic question that Im sure gets asked a ton but what do you guys use between the sub and enclosure to make sure you getting a good seal? I looked into the foam strip for sealing doors but I couldnt find anything solid. I didnt know how well it would work. The stuff I looked at when sqeezed with very little presure colapses completely.

Thanks again.

BTW if there is a faq or guide that answers any of the easy questions like this please point me to it. I couldn't find a very good diy guide.

2. Scott Quick

Scott Quick Agent

I use standard closed-cell weatherstripping. Depending on the size of the woofer, determines the thickness and width I use. I have a large stash of various sizes at home in the workshop. The rubberized stuff is nice too, but it doesn't "squish" as easily. I've never had any problems sealing my subs with the regular foam... but I typically cut out all recess mounts using my jasper jig, which leaves a very clean edge. You could perhaps try some calk type sealant?

Hope this helps,
    Scott

3. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Ok ill look for closed cell.. I think that might have been the problem the stuff I was looking at was more sponge like and not closed cell. Unfortunately I dont have a router or the money to buy one right now.. trying to get a friend to lend me his. I might have to free hand the cut which I dread. Thanks Scott

4. perry web

perry web Stunt Coordinator

I have stupid question so I might as well bury it in this thread.

I am waiting for my shiva to arrive and I have pondering this, if I buy 1/2" wide closed cell foam and try to apply it to the flat horizontal mating surface of the cabinet or the driver it will crinkle up (technical term) as i try to roll it around the 11" dia. If it was standing on edge so the 1/2" was concentric w/ the centerline of the driver it would roll in nice tight circles.
    so do you apply the foam seal on the horiz. cabinet surface between the cabinet and the flange of the driver (where the holes are) or do you cut your thru hole really tight and put it on the vertical (thickness of the baffle) surface between the cabinet and the basket of the driver?

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Perry,
    You should put the gasket between the flange of the driver(where the bolts are) and the baffle. Even a tiny air leak can cause some funky noises. You may have to get a sheet of closed cell foam and make a one piece gasket instead of what you have now. You want it to be flat.