What's new

Sea Monster (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
A bit, but i doubt it. Unless of course it was a gigantic super bubble since it was heard on underwater mic's over 4000 km apart :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I already posted this under the title "Bloop".
:)
EDIT: Ooops, just read your email Henry. It's ok though, I had a rather decidedly different spin on who's making all that racket. I like to think of a certain tentacled Someone snoring in his dreaming slumber ;)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
No more baked bean and chilli burritos before my midnight swim.

How embarrassing. I had no idea people would be listening!

Adam

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Forget Cull-thu-lu! It's the Leviathan! Now where'd I put that Bavarian conspiracy ring...

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
While I won't speculate on what it actually is (supernatural or not), I will relate a story from a few years ago. The Navy was testing out a new sonar system. It was brand new, state-of-the-art, and cost a bundle. It was attached to the bottom of a destroyer, I believe, and they left port. They were several miles out when they turned it on. It worked for a couple minutes then suddenly stopped before they could get it fully operational. They went back to port to check it out. The entire device was gone. A rubber coating had gone over it to protect it from incidental bumps, etc., and that was also ripped to shreds. Stuck in the rubber were numerous teeth, up to 2.5 inches long. Nobody could figure out what the teeth were until one marine biologist figured it out. Squids have tiny, nearly microscopic "teeth" in the suckers at the end of their tentacles. That's the sort of teeth that were in the rubber. The show I saw estimated that, based on the size of the teeth, the squid would have had to have been over 200 feet long.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Personally, I believe that there are huge creatures that live in our oceans. I mean, any early sea creatures that were around say during the age of the dinosaurs that lived deep underwater would be unaffected by whatever disaster wiped out the rest. No? Add that to the fact that SO much of our oceans have been unexplored and it should be no wonder that there are things we haven't yet seen.
Scott,
I do find it interesting that this super expensive sonar didn't register anything 200ft large coming at it. If it is indeed a true story I'd say the sonar must not have "worked for a couple minutes." ;) Though I'd love for it to be true. Giant squid intrigue me just about as much as anything.
Regards,
Dan Hine

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The Kraken
Below the thunders of the upper deep,
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides: above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages and will lie
Battering upon huge seaworms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by men and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

:)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Giant squid intrigue me just about as much as anything.
Be sure to not miss the giant squid show on Discovery tomorrow!

Giant squids (and octopuses) are ever so fascinating.

"The stars were right again, and what an age-old cult had failed to do by design, a band of innocent sailors had done by accident. After vigintillions of years great Cthulhu was loose again, and ravening for delight."

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
So is it a huge octopus? Although dead giant squid have been washed up on beaches...
Yeah, because as everyone including CNN knows, octopus and squid are the same thing. Perhaps CNN should think about having this story covered by a science reporter who actually takes his job seriously.

It seems to me that cephalopods such as squid have no apparatus for making sound, so it can't have been a squid.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Julie,

Do you know if the giant squid show on Discovery today is actually a new one? I've tuned in so many times to various squid programs to find that I'd already seen it several times. Oh well, I'll probably watch it anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

Dan Hine

Julie K

Screenwriter
Dan,
It's probably an old one. Their new stuff usually comes closer to the beginning of the month. But I've got to tune in anyway just to be sure.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Dan,
Sorry, I've been exhausted all week and didn't proofread what I wrote:
It worked for a couple minutes then suddenly stopped before they could get it fully operational.
From what I remember, they were bringing the system online, and while it was emitting, it wasn't receiving. It was destroyed before it came fully operational, and one of the biologists on the special theorized that the sounds emitted by the device startled or perhaps hurt the creature, and it lashed out at it. It was pretty cool because they showed a split screen of the teeth from the sonar device, and one from a regular squid under a microscope. While the sizes were quite different (one was 2.5 inches, the other microscopic), they looked identical in every other aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks