Sea Change SACD vs redbook

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick White, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Nick White

Nick White Stunt Coordinator

I used the analog outs of my SCD-CE775 to make a redbook copy of Sea Change for my car. I compared it with my friends copy of the retail redbook CD and noticed slightly more bass in the redbook mix. I was curious if anyone else had compared this. Could it be the method or software I used to to record it on to my computer? Or is it something in the actual mix of the redbook vs. SACD?

Just so people know, I used SoundForge.

2. Michael St. Clair

Does the SCD-CE775 have bass management? Did you turn it all the way off?

3. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Hey Nick,

I had noticed the very same thing and was wondering if it was something to do with the multi-channel output on my 670 player. It's the only multi-channel SACD disc I have, so I had nothing to compare it to.

Let me know if you find out anything,

Miles

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    It also depends on the A to D conversion in the CD recorder that one uses. Most of the home decks do not have outstanding circuitry in this area. They are made so that one can perform this function, not necessarily well. Marantz made a reference recorder at one point, Pioneer Elite made a good unit (I dpn't believe it is currently made) and Tascam makes a good one as well.

5. Nick White

I'm using a PC CD-R, so it would have to do with the soundcard, most likely. I used an RCA to mini cable and plugged it into the line-in of the soundcard (SoundBlaster).

I don't know if the SCD-CE775 has bass management or not. However I haven't noticed a lack of bass with any of my other titles, and I'm using the stereo outs, not the multichannel outs.

I suppose I'll do some research. Any more input is welcome.

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

7. Nick White

I looked up the specs on the CE775, and it does have bass management. Does anyone know what a proper setup for this would be, if I found the bass lacking?

As far as SACD being a secure format, they still don't allow digital out for SACD. I suppose their assumption is that analog copies will have degradation in quality, though people on this forum have stated there is still a slight improvement over normal redbook.

It's fair use!! [​IMG]

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Not at all Rich. When I first got my XA-777ES last summer, I hooked it up for about 30 minutes and since I already had 2 Rel Storm IIIs on the front, had a Strata III in the bedroom system that I could move in as well as a Phase Technology Octave 1.0 (with a built in electronic crossover) sitting around, the Strata ended up in the rear and I bought a (Rel) Q150 for the center so I just did my bass management differently.

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Hi Phil, not sure what you're responding to exactly, but sounds like a great system!

Nick, I found a review of the "SEA CHANGE" SACD by Michael Fremer, who does a brief comparison to the CD, and even comments along the lines of your "CD-R experiment" (but with different results):

11. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I don't know how it could sound better. Because when you burn the wav file to a CDR. The burning software has to convert it to 16bit 44khz. Unless of course the commerical redbook version is purposely more compressed so that the SACD version sounds more clean and crisp. Maybe Sony needs to change their name to $ony [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

13. Michael St. Clair

Even if you can't compress the dynamics of DSD with current tools (which I seriously doubt), you could always compress it in the analog domain first. Even if you were recording direct to DSD, you could compress first.

Hey, does anybody know how Sea Change was recorded?

14. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Rich was just confirming your observations on the bass management which I tried very briefly. The Rels run off a high level connection and are crossed over at a low point to just fill in the bass not produced by the mains or center or surrounds vs. using the bass management in the SACD player.

15. Michael St. Clair

So if the bass management is through the subs off of the speaker-level connections, where does the .1 bass go?

If the .1 bass is being lost, the factory Redbook disc will have more bass (assuming the same mix was used for both stereo versions). CD and SACD are both flat enough that the format shouldn't make a difference in the amount of bass.

What's the SPL meter say? [​IMG]

16. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I was semi jokeing in my post. I feel that there may be some fixing involved in the differences between the redbook and SACD version. However I don't know if it was due to bad mastering like someone feel asleep at the wheel on the redbook side. Or if the SACD version is overcooked.

Then of course Beck could have added things to the SACD version to make it special and that two different master tapes exist. Can anyone confirm that the SACD version is from the redbook master?