Se7en Bilingual Packaging

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad E, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

Just a warning to all Canadians who are a) bothered by bilingual packaging, and b) haven't yet picked up Se7en...
    It looks like Alliance Atlantis has modified their Se7en packaging to be bilingual. It appears the old English-only packaging can still be found (I found it at the third store I looked in today), but I would assume as stock gets sold and reordered, all the replacements will be the new packaging.
    I have wanted to pick up Se7en for a while now, and just haven't gotten around to it... now AA has forced my hand! [​IMG]
    I can't speak to the strength/thickness of the new packaging, as I never saw it out of the shrinkwrap.
    Sorry if this is old news.
    PS - For those of you just dying to know, it appears the official French translation of "Se7en" is "Sep7"! You know, I almost wished they had just called the movie "7" just so you could see the large "7" on the package with the much smaller "(7)" underneath... [​IMG]

2. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

Thanks for that post, Chad. Is that in a keepcase? Or is it the snapper we have here in the states?

Or are you refering to the two disk set in the cardboard slipcase?

The reason I ask is that I am looking for the Atlantis-Alliance single disk version in a keepcase. Thanks.

3. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark,

Actually, it is the two-disc version in the cardboard slipcase that I am referring to. I haven't actually seen a single disc version around here... I didn't even realize there had been one released.

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Looks like we need to start a Bilingual Cover = NO SALE campaign. If Quebec wants this crap so be it. I don't want to see a single french word on my cases unless its La Femme Nikita.

5. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

SE7PT
    SEP7...?
    [​IMG]

6. Bjorn Svendsen

Bjorn Svendsen Auditioning

Wha has the world come to, if this is the world that we can look forward to than that world is crap, I think its a grat idea to start a campaign against bilingual covers. Personally i only own one, and as soon as i get the cash to replace it its gone.

7. Florian Finkenzeller

Aren't you guys a bit overreacting? I mean especially in Canada... you can after all still pick up the american release if you want an all-english packaging.

And what exactly ist so funny about "Sep7", considering that the english title is "Se7en"?

8. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I agree. This near constant complaining about the bi-lingual covers is getting annoying. Yes, I would like to see the covers done double sided, if the studio can. However, the scale just does not justify two separate runs one to print English covers, and an other to print French covers.

When Canada has a population approaching half of the US, then the scales work out better for something like that.

The constant, and sometimes quite vitriolic complaining about the covers (with little or no practical criticism) is likely one of the things Ron and Co could point to as an example for the "chasing away" of the various studio reps.

9. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

10. Florian Finkenzeller

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Actually, I've been looking at it, and the only releases it's really bothering me on now are things like Pulp Fiction, where you have a customized cover that can't be replaced. Otherwise, I'm planning on replacing all of my bilingual covers with scans of the english-only covers (or custom jobs) and be done with it. Would I rather get an english-only cover-sure. But it seems like it's just not going to happen.

I wonder how the precedent got started for DVDs though? It was never a problem for Audio CDs...

12. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Florian Finkenzeller

13. Ian Currie

Ian Currie Stunt Coordinator

I am very upset about the bilingual packaging as well. I have an extensive collection, but I won't purchase any DVDS with bilingual packaging.

The worst aspect is the spine - with dual labelling, the font is smaller. The way my collection is stored, I rely on the spines to retrieve the disc I want. If I were to continue purchasing bilingual discs (unfortunately, by accident, I now own 11), it would be a nightmare.

Apart from that I simply resent having valuable real-estate of the packaging used for another language when:

1) the studios only use the reverse aspect of the keep case insert to have MORE French on it rather than restrict the respective languages to one side.

2) VHS movies, CDs, books, etc are 100% english and don't suffer from this.

With two languages on the back, the font is much smaller, screenshots have to be reduced in size. For those of us fo whom the packaging is important, it's heartbreaking. It was bad enough getting used to smaller packaging coming from the wonderful size of laserdiscs, but now, we have 1/2 the space on the back of the DVD!

I realize I'm not the norm, but I care more about packaging than the typical extras on a DVD (although the number one priority is transfer quality).

What's frustrating is there's no obvious place to vent other than these forums. I haven't found any email addresses for Canadian offices of Paramount or Universal studios...

Ordering from the states is VERY expensive. Not only are the prices higher, but the exchange is painful (for which you pay not only on the cost of the DVD, but shipping). Then, Canadian customs dings you for federal and provincial taxes (sometimes on the shipping costs also) and charge an extra $5.00 fee for the privilege of it all.

On top of all this, it takes about two weeks to receive the movie.

Refraining from going postal, I guess I'm going to be buying a lot less DVDs since I'll have to very selectively order them from the states.

Heh, maybe that's a good thing for me. I'll rent more and buy less. :)

Ahhhh... feels good to rant once in a while.