SDTV over HDMI?

Greg Szczyrbak

Auditioning
Quick clarification question. Do HD set top boxes like a Dish Network HD receiver send all video and audio over the HDMI interface, or do you need to hook up HDMI for the HD signals and something lesser for the analog signals?

In other words, would one HDMI cable from an HD STB carry all video and audio, even non HD content?

Thanks,
Greg

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
I imagine that it would. I could be wrong though since I have never tried it, but since the signal is digital I can't see why it wouldn't work with hdmi....you'll still get no improvement in picture quality though.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My DirecTV HR10-250 sends out ALL channels over HDMI. I think that customers would be going nuts if they had to switch TV inputs every time they went from an HD channel to an SD channel.

-Robert

BrianTwig

Second Unit
similar but different question. I do not have an HD Sat box. But my DVD player (listed below) is connected to my TV directly by HDMI and to the receiver via optical.

Sometimes my SD viewing is lower quality than what I would like Would hooking my Sat Box up directly to the DVD player, and then sending the signal to the TV via HDMI improve the picture quality?

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No. Upconverting doesn't magically add video data that was lost during compression. Both DirecTV and Dish overcompress their pictures. They are optimized for a 32" TV, viewed at 15' away by someone who is half blind. (I made the last two up)

-Robert

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
namritabneha