What's new

sd533hd5 dvd mode (1 Viewer)

Chris Strasz

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using my ps2 for the dvd player (until i can afford the rp82.) It's using s-video to the first input on the back of my pioneer sd533hd5.
My question is what is the best mode to set this tv while watching dvd's? I had thought that it would be full, and then let the dvd play in it's OAR but for some reason it just doesn't look right. It looks wider than it should. This is with 2.35:1 (I think that's what it was) DVD's. Should I be running DVD's in cinema wide or natural wide instead?
Second, how much of a jump in visual clarity should I notice once i go from this crappy console DVD player to the rp82 which would provide progressive scan through components? I was watching star wars EP 2 and spiderman and I wasn't blown away by the image but I'm not sure if I am just naturally expecting too much :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Go into your PS2 DVD settings and choose anamorphic or widescreen or 16:9 or whatever Sony likes to call it. This will output a picture that, on a 4:3 set, makes everything look very tall and thin. That's when you change your set to full to bring it back into proportion.

For those discs that are not enhanced, you will want to use zoom mode too fill the screen without distortion.

The reason EP2 and Spiderman didn't look that great is because the PS2 was downconverting 480 lines to, I believe, 360 (damn, I used to know this stuff cold), which will result in picture artifacts that are more noticeable on such a big screen.

Any progressive scan player will output a much better picture than the PS2.

Chris Lehner

Agent
Chris S:

My "standalone" player has a setting for the aspect ratio of the set, 4x3 or 16x9, and I assume most do. I'm not sure about the PS2. I'd check your guide (maybe I'll peek through mine real quick and see if I find anything for ya) and see if there is any way to change it. If it is, chances are you're in 4x3 and switching would help your problem. If not, I'd say there's a good chance you're stuck with 4x3 output.

I would say that is just one of the improvements you will find in moving to a standalone player, especially one with progressive scan. I can't imagine that the PS2 has much even in the way of an Interlaced picture and the differences between Interlaced and Progressive output are significant.

Chris L

Chris Strasz

Stunt Coordinator
Many thanks for the comments. I have set the console into 16:9 through the user menu prior to watching DVD's. Still, it did look distorted quite a bit but I did think that having it on 16:9 and then full was the proper way. Hanson it must be what you are describing that is causing this effect.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Many thanks for the comments. I have set the console into 16:9 through the user menu prior to watching DVD's. Still, it did look distorted quite a bit but I did think that having it on 16:9 and then full was the proper way. Hanson it must be what you are describing that is causing this effect.
It all depends on the DVD.

As Hanson said, if its anamorphic (AKA Enhanced for Widescreen TV), you want full mode.

If it is not, you want Zoom.

All that assumes that the player is correctly set for a 16.9 display.

If the player is set right and the disk is anamorphic, but the picture looks stretched, then something, somewhere is not set right.

BL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks