SD5109 player now, what NEXT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Proud, Jan 22, 2002.

1. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

Ok, message says it all. Is now a good time to upgrade the Older Toshiba SD5109 output to a WEGA XBR400 32" TV in progressive mode or should I wait a little while longer.

Two players that intrique me are the Panasonic RV56 and the Phillips Q50. I was at one point considering paying for a used camelot roundtable but it looks like these more resonable priced players will act the same way on the audio portion for DD/DTS bitstream output atleast as the more expensive players. The video portion is making great grounds as well.

So what do you guys think? I will eventually be upgrading to FPTV via a DLP/CRT/OR LCD Projector.

Thanks,

David

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I just upgraded my 5109 to the panasonic Rp91...The tosh 5109 was the first progressive player introduced in the US..It still is an excellent player and never gave me a bit of problems....That being said, the new deinterlacing chips being used now in both the RP91 and RP56 are clearly superior in picture quality....The Q50 uses the same deinterlacing chip as the RP 56...For the money the rp56 is a better value than the q50