SD3750 vs SD4700 vs RP56

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan_F, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    I am in the market for a progressive-scan player and have narrowed down my selections to these 3. I have no need for DVD-Audio, so I wonder if that is the only difference between the 2 Toshiba models. What is the latest and greatest on the chroma bug issue? I seem to recall the Panasonic not being having the problem due to the Sage/Faroudja chip. Is this still accurate. Any help and/or guidance would be appreciated. TV is a Toshiba 56H80 if that matters.

Thanks!

Nathan

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The 4700 has DVD-A and aspect ratio control. Both Tosh's have the 'Bug' but it shows up differently on various sets...not sure about yours. The RP56 is highly regarded.

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I found the picture quality between the 3750 and 4700 identical. I haven't noticed the "bug" at all, unless I searched for it.

The RP-56 also produced a gorgeous image, but the build-quality was a notch below the Toshibas, and I didn't dig the interface at all.

4. tony randall

tony randall Stunt Coordinator

I agree - Tosh. 3750 and 4700 are same picture output. I called Tosh. b/4 I bought, and they confirmed only difference was DVD-A. I looked in my file to see if I still had the spec. sheets for both that I printed from the Tosh. site, and I did notice Aspect Ratio for the 4700 and not the 3750. But check the Manual, I think it's there. (BTW - you can look at the manuals at their website).
    As of a couple weeks ago, the best prices for the 3750 was $199 to your door. The 4700 was at three places for $224 to your door, although the only one with it in stock was www.onecall.com - and they use FedEx ground (which guarantees a shipping date, although I've heard they sometimes miss by a day. That said, looking at their tracking info, mine came by air in 2 days.)
    The Tosh. has a few features in the detailed specs that are not apparent in the Panny - Zoom (for Basic Instinct), Coax Digital Out, Angle Viewer (not all dvds have this feature), Parental Lock (for Basic Instinct), and some people are into this - Karaoke.
    If you have the speakers and a receiver with 6 channel inputs, it might be worth the extra 25 bucks to get the 4700 if you decide on Tosh. You just might like it.

5. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

You might look at the Mitsubishi 8020 as it looks to me to be the same as the Toshiba 5700 in a different case with a 3750 remote. The operating menus look exactly the same as the 4700/5700, and features match the 5700. I found one at a B&M last week for $229.00. The was a pretty favorable article on the Mits in the lastest Sound and Vision. For what it's worth, they called it a "near perfect cd player".

6. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    I've found the 3750 at under $190 shipped fromwww.buy.com They have the 4700 for 233 shipped. I think for the difference I'm going to go with the 3750. I just don't see the need for DVD-Audio anywhere in the near future. By the time I'm ready for that, it will be time to upgrade everything! [​IMG]
    Thanks for all your input!