What's new

SD-P2000 questions (1 Viewer)

Tony Peck

Grip
I have a few questions for any owners of the Toshiba SD-P2000 portable DVD player :

Is there any way to force the headphone output(s) to remain active with the screen closed? I would like to use it for listening to CDs in the car with a cassette adapter connected to the headphone jack. I also want to protect the screen and not subject it to the same image for an entire CD. So far my fix to this problem is to connect the minijack AV cable that came with the unit to the AV output, use an RCA to 1/8" stereo adapter to connect the L/R audio from the cable to an in-line volume control and finally a 1/8" stereo coupler to adapt it to the cassette input. This works (the AV out is always active), but it's a big hassle to set up and looks terrible. Another option is a hardwired RF modulator (direct L/R line input from the AV out jack), but that's about twice as expensive. Does anyone know of a minijack AV (4 pole) to minijack stereo (3 pole) adapter? RadioShack doesn't "have the answer".

Secondly, does anyone know of a service manual (or at least the access code) for this player? When set with AVIA, the unit tends to push red and I was hoping to correct this in the service menu.

Third, has anyone had problems with lock-ups or "No Disc" message? It has happened three times since I bought the unit (about a month ago) and I'm wondering if I should return it.

Last, I found an anomoly with the charging circuit. With a completely dead battery if I plug the unit into the charger, let it charge for a minute, unplug it and plug it back in it will not continue to charge. I found this because I had to move AC outlets after beginning to charge one day. The only way to get it to start charging again is to disconnect / reconnect the battery pack. Does this sound right? BTW I get about 4 hrs 5 minutes from a completely charged battery. Can't leave it connected after charging however as it drains in about 2 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just received my SD-P2000 today, so I cannot be much help with most of your questions. However, the section of the manual regarding the battery pack (page 75) explicitly states not to disconnect the AC power while charging the battery. That probably explains the issue you are having.

Tony Peck

Grip
Scott,

I looked on page 75 of the manual and can't find where is specifically says not to disconnect the AC power while charging the battery. I see on page 76 where it says "Do not detach the battery pack while you are operating the player (while the POWER/CHG indicator illuminates in green)", but not about the AC adapter during charging.

Tony

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tony,

This is from page 75 of my SD-P2000 manual:

Notes:
  • While the charge is in progress, do not disconnect the AC adapter and the power cord until the POWER/CHG indicator turns off.

Tony Peck

Grip
Scott,

You're right, I found the same note in the manual that actually came with the player. I bought my player from OneCall.com and printed the .pdf version of the manual from their website before it arrived. Since the manual that came with the player looked the same I never bothered to read it. The note that you refer to is not in the .pdf version. It must be an older revision.

I guess I'll have to read through the one that came with the unit to see if there are any other differences.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony Peck

Grip
For those interested there are three discrepancies between the .pdf version of the SD-P2000 manual widely available on-line and the version that actually ships with the player :

1. Page 32, Section "Playing an MP3 encoded CD", bullet "Selecting a track (file name) in the disc" - different instructions between manuals for highlighting and selecting a track.

2. Page 52, Section "NAVI menu items - Picture Setting", step 4 - the on-line manual describes settings for a Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) feature that is not actually on the player. Description is removed in the shipped manual.

3. Page 75, Section "Using the Battery Pack", bullet "Charging the battery pack" - A note has been inserted in the shipped manual regarding disconnecting AC power during charge (see discussion in above posts).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks