Scythe NCU-2000 Fanless heatsink

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Eric Shafer, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Eric Shafer

Eric Shafer Auditioning

I saw a review of this fanless heatsink on The Screen Savers and I am thinking it is just what I need for my HTPC.

Has anyone using/heard anything about this fanless CPU heatsink?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

3. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

I would really rrecomendwaiting for ssome oneelse that is not a heatsink dealer to review this product. I hope very much that this passive heatsink works as advertised but I just cant fathom how a passive heatsink that small with such little surface area can ddissipateenough heat. I would consider this statement from the manufacturer

"Okay, although the Scythe NCU-2000 is technically a zero noise cooler, it really needs some airflow somewhere in the case to operate within reasonable temperature levels. Since we tested with a 80mm fan, expect an equivalent fan in a real world situation to create about 35-45 dBA of noise. This is pretty good all things considered. The heatsink of course, counts for none of the noise created, but does benefit from the airflow, so keep this in mind."

Also consider that your HTP will most likely be setting on a shelf with little natural airflow and surrounded by other equipment that will produce its own heat.

If you really want to run quiet go water cooling with a Eheim pump or look into getting a heatsink wiht a blower fan. Like http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...ACB-V83JET%207 there are other companies that make quite active heatsinks as well.