What's new

SCTV on DVD!!! Finally! (1 Viewer)

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
SCTV Volume 2 is due from Shout! Factory October 19, 2004. Episodes are the nine from Season 4, Cycle 2 (90 minute NBC episodes):

Episode #88: CCCP1
Episode #89: I'm Taking My Own Head...
Episode #90: Zontar
Epsidoe #91: Walter Cronkite's Brain
Episode #92: Doorway To Hell
Episode #93: The Godfather
Episdoe #94: SCTV Staff Christmas Party
Epsidoe #95: Teacher's Pet
Epsidoe #96: Midnight Video Special

Extras include:
Larger Than Life: The Norman Seeff Photo Sessions
SCTV Remembers, Part 2
The SCTV Writers
The Juul Haalmeyer Dancers
A Behind-The-Scenes Photo Gallery
SCTV at the 1982 Emmy Awards

The next set, volume 3 (when Martin Short joins the cast) is due out February 2005

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or does SCTV not hold up too well?

I was a casual viewer in the 80's, but picked up the box set. To be honest, I didn't laugh too much. In a few episodes, no laughs at all. It was more "interesting", seeing what they were doing for a joke, than it was funny.

It is a great set though if you are a fan.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I'll agree the production values are deplorable, alot of the humor is dated and like any sketch show, it's uneven.

It's also the best sketch cast in history (I'd even put it a nudge ahead of the original SNL) and it's a true pleasure to watch them in action. Absolutely recommended.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Argh....I pray these get a price drop someday. I just can't afford them at their current cost. I bought the first one for $60 watched it, and sold it for about the same because as much as I like it, I couln't justify $60 for 9 one hour episodes.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I would regard them as something of an investment - I think they need to sell well to justify future sets. I think they're so expensive due to music rights, or at least that's the usual explanation. Dunno if they'll drop in price eventually - Shout Factory's not been around long enough for us to discern patterns - but one would assume they'll knock off some bucks in a year or two...

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I preordered (with $5 deposit) at Blockbuster two weeks before release and it still hasn't come in. I'm thinking the price differential was discovered somewhere up the chain and they stopped filling orders...without cancelling them, of course, leaving me and the employees at my local store expecting it "any time now".

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I picked up volume 1 not all that long ago for $13, yes $13.

As others have said, its just you...I love this show and I hadn't seen it in many years assuming that this is the version that was aired on Nick at Nite in the past but even if its not...good stuff nonetheless.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Volume 3 will wrap up the rest of Season 4 on NBC. Presumably they'll next do NBC's Season 5 as well, but I wonder how they'll sort the episodes. There were only 6 90 minute episodes in each of the 2 cycles for season 5 as opposed to the 9 90 min eps in the 3 cycles of season 4. Personally I'd rather pay a little extra just to get all 12 season 5 eps together in a bigger set (it would only be one extra disc) rather than 2 smaller sets of 6 eps each.

It will get interesting in 2006 when we see if Shout is going to do the earlier Canadian episodes of seasons 1-3, or Cinemax's season 6. All of those are pretty iffy at this point, but I'd love to get them since I've never seen any of the Canadian and Cinemax episodes.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just watched the first disc of valoume 2, and I would like to say that Wendy O'Williams is the scariest woman in rock I have ever seen.

This is great stuff!

I would like to see the Canadian stuff come out. The 30 min episodes are what I remember, having only ever seen it syndicated, and being synidicated, I'm sure alot got cut. There are some great stuff in these early episodes that I don't think would of made it into the NBC stuff (I'm totally guessing here folks, I have no episode list to verify anything), like Mo Greens dialing for dollers, Doctor Braino, the Mr. Earl Doll and others.

I'm most looking forward to "The Days Of The Week", "Maudlins 11" , "Happy Hour" and "Gimmie Jackie!" I'm guessing these would show on Vol 3 when Martin short Joins up.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It was actually the Canadian version I remember. My local PBS station used to run it on weekends (30 minute episodes). Some of the funniest stuff ever committed to tape were on these shows.

Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i wonder what blockbuster's price will be on this.

so far they have been 23.99 and 29.99 respectively.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Noticed the death of G Gordon Liddy and the first thing that came to mind was the very funny SCTV episode where Dave Thomas plays him visiting Mrs. Falbo's Tiny Town and fields some tough questions from the kids. Then he reads the story of Goldylocks from his Corrected Fairy Tales.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks