SCTV Christmas special DVD completely duplicated on box set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chris PC, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

While Christams shopping in December, I accidentally bought the SCTV Christmas DVD thinking it may have something exclusive, and $15 was a cheap enough treat to buy myself that nobody else would bother. Lo and behold I received the SCTV Vol 2 for xmas. I noticed that the 1981 xmas special is on there. Is the 1982 xmas special on the Vol 3 box set? Is there anything at all exclusive on the individual SCTV Christmas DVD? I have not opened it and was going to return it and buy something else unless there is anything on there worth keeping (I don't care for the collector value of having the individually wrapped sctv Christmas specials dvd). The commentary for the first special (1981) appears to be the same as on the box set, and the box set also has the Juul Haalmeyer dancers too.

So return it?

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Return it.

Yes, everything is duplicated from the box sets. I got it for my parents, as they don't have the sets. The Shmenge Christmas is a family tradition in our house.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanx.

Yep. I returned it for now. I will perhaps pick up Vol 3 and 4 once I find them for as low a price as possible.

Although I may ask this later elsewhere, does anyone know if the earlier original SCTV will ever make it to dvd?

I guess I will have to do my research. It seems that the Network 90 series is getting abused as it is, with lots of good music getting stripped away. Oh well.

4. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

This should be completely obvious, but since nobody said it yet....This sounds like one of those SCTV shows that was separately released on a $15 DVD and then they decided to include it on a $65 season set ($65 is the usual Best Buy price, except for the first 90 minute season which is $87). If Shout Video decides to release an entire season, they have to duplicate a previous show again.

There are many cases of this happening, most notably with the old Twilight Zone and new Outer Limits series.