1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

SCSI drives not showing up now - help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Thomas, Dec 11, 2001.

1. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I'm having a problem that just recently popped up; I have 2 Seagate SCSI drives (along with 2 WD IDE) that aren't showing up in Windows 2K. They seem to spin up, the Adaptec 2940 is detected upon bootup and in Windows. When it does bootup, the drives are found by the SCSI Bios. I would boot into Win98 but those particular drives are NTFS. What I'm going to attempt to do is reseat the card and chip on the card itself. After that, I'm lost. The card doesn't appear dead - if it's detected during boot and in Windows, then surely its good. I'm not sure what to do, honestly.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

This can't be a hardware issue. Have you tried adding hardware devices?

Glenn

3. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

John - Did moving the card do anything? That's just weird. It should be recognized.

4. John Thomas

I tried adding a scsi adapter, no luck. Tried swapping pci slots, no luck. I was thinking it had something to do with permissions to those drives but I'm not exactly sure how to check that out.
    What I have so far:
    On post, the card and both scsi drives are recognized. In the bios of the scsi card both drives are recognized as well. In Windows, the scsi card is recognized and seems to have to appropriate drivers installed. However, the scsi drives just don't appear under My Computer (but all others do, the 2 IDE drives, the DVDrom and CDRW). What's so strange is that it just started occurring. There wasn't any weird noises or slow performance to notate hardware failure.
    This is a strange problem. I don't know what the heck is going on with it. [​IMG]

5. John Thomas

Bump
    No help? I'd have thought at least Gillespie would've jumped in with a word. [​IMG]

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

If you go to Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Managment, do they show up? How about if you do Action, Refresh Disks?
    Or if you go to Device Management (also in Computer Management), are there any errors being reported by the SCSI card?
    Have you tried another scsi card? Or cable? Perhaps one of them is broken.
    Just some random Win2K ideas from a Unix guy [​IMG]