What's new

SCSI drives not showing up now - help! (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'm having a problem that just recently popped up; I have 2 Seagate SCSI drives (along with 2 WD IDE) that aren't showing up in Windows 2K. They seem to spin up, the Adaptec 2940 is detected upon bootup and in Windows. When it does bootup, the drives are found by the SCSI Bios. I would boot into Win98 but those particular drives are NTFS. What I'm going to attempt to do is reseat the card and chip on the card itself. After that, I'm lost. The card doesn't appear dead - if it's detected during boot and in Windows, then surely its good. I'm not sure what to do, honestly.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I tried adding a scsi adapter, no luck. Tried swapping pci slots, no luck. I was thinking it had something to do with permissions to those drives but I'm not exactly sure how to check that out.
What I have so far:
On post, the card and both scsi drives are recognized. In the bios of the scsi card both drives are recognized as well. In Windows, the scsi card is recognized and seems to have to appropriate drivers installed. However, the scsi drives just don't appear under My Computer (but all others do, the 2 IDE drives, the DVDrom and CDRW). What's so strange is that it just started occurring. There wasn't any weird noises or slow performance to notate hardware failure.
This is a strange problem. I don't know what the heck is going on with it. :confused:

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
If you go to Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Managment, do they show up? How about if you do Action, Refresh Disks?
Or if you go to Device Management (also in Computer Management), are there any errors being reported by the SCSI card?
Have you tried another scsi card? Or cable? Perhaps one of them is broken.
Just some random Win2K ideas from a Unix guy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks