What's new

Scrubs Season 5 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I completely agree with Adam. Last week I felt was pretty flat, but it looks like everyone was just easing into this season; last nights episodes were great and back to form.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Same as last two weeks. The first episode is mediocre (with a given humorous moment or two, and the second is pretty decent. Nothing too great yet. There were some inspired bits in the second episode last night, though.

Still, all told, six episodes in, and it feels a bit done. But it's still worth watching. Hopefully, they'll find a way to keep it feeling fresh.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I love the shows site gags but it seems like this season they are pushing a bit too much over the top stuff that just really takes the quality down a few notches; People running around and getting a bit too whacky just for the sake of it.

Darren Conroy

Stunt Coordinator
First episode:

For some reason, the dark overtones of Cox's past irked me. I enjoy seeing glimpses of him being humane, but he was vulnerable in this episode, which kind of undermined the foundation of the show for the episode's remaining duration. Plus things seemed a little off-rhythm, a la the first pair of episodes. Turk and Carla's side-story was pretty good, though. Especially with the aforementioned replacement words. (Enjoyed the return of bajingo. It's bajingo, right?)

Second episode:
Better, but not reaching the quality of last week's. I almost died when Todd got a "10" on the pain scale. Some gags were a little off, though. I notice they went with the Family Guy method of taking a mediocre joke and beating it to death until it's funny again, without the funny again part. (I picked up on Dr. Acula when JD first said it, so the spoon-feeding explanation didn't really do much for me).

I might be worried for the show if last week's episodes weren't so awesome.

Oh, and if by some chance John C. McGinley's reading this? Shave. For fuck's sake. Shave.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
The bear trying to get in the car as "one of the worst things that can happen during sex" had me rolling on the floor. Especially the part about the guy losing his baseball scholarship because the bear ate his arm.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I thought the first episode was really, really good. Although, I always like the glimpses into what makes Cox the extrodinarily fucked up gentleman that he is. The whole abused child storyline and its tie-in to why he hates being around his sister was poignant to me. Also liked the stuff with Turk finding the joy in baby-making through the baptism. I really like the way his relates to religion and God. Some well-placed humor too.

The second episode was a bit too "Family Guy" for me. Like "Family Guy" it had some great gags (the 4-story wedgie being a particularly great one) but the whole wasn't as cohesive as it should be.

I'm still not sold on the back to back airings either. I know that I wanted time to digest the first episode before hoping into a light fluffy one which has little to no reaction to the previous one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This week's first episode is the 100th episode, and it's being directed by Zach Braff and is inspired by "The Wizard of Oz".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Liked the first episode, had a bit more grit overall, even with the whole Wizard of Oz riff going on. Braff continues on his directorial streak.

The best sound effect in the second episode had to be when Jordan's tongue sliding down on the glass prison. It was a little weaker than the first, but Bateman's nonchalance was good for some chuckles.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Liked the first episode much better than the second though both were a lot better than last weeks.

Toto and Mango Body Butter!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The best thing about the first episode is that we get a bit of that old Carla/Cox dynamic again. McGinley really fucking sold being a father in that scene. Cutting right through the Cox bullshit was just perfect.
I thought the Wizard of Oz thing was perfectly executed as well. The only thing I didn't totally like was Nurse Robert's choir being there in reality. It was just a bit too much.
Loved Ted's band's cover of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of "Over the Rainbow". Braff is a great director.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Anyone want to help out a Scrubs fan that is a moron too? :) I've been real busy with school the last few weeks and kept forgetting to set the DVR to record Scrubs on Tuesday nights while I'm at class.

If someone could send me a videotape with the last 6 episodes, I would appreciate it. I've got the 1st 2 of this season, but nothing after that. E-mail me at [email protected] if you can help out. Thanks in advance.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Two great episodes, one night, The second one was sit-up hysterical, but both were above-average. Which was good, as it had been a fairly tepid season so far. Both featured Turk rather prominently, and he delivered.

Ep1: Turk's audition was outstanding.
Ep2: Lando and the hot Latino nurse ;)

Great stuff, the best two of the year (for laughs, at least).

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Air Band, gosh that was great, I hope they make appearances much like Ted's a cappella band. Not too often but occasionally. Boston's "More Than a Feeling" great Air Band song.

Mandy is cute, not that funny, but she was alright. She worked well for what she served.
I liked the visual portion during the Fountains of Wayne song "Hey Julie".

There was the line in one of the episodes after J.D. and Julie buy the land and their talking about their neighbors and J.D. almost buys the couples baby and he talks about it at work with Carla. "I almost bought a baby." The look Carla gives him and the way he skirts the issue was funny, one of my favorite little off hand moments.

Lando!
I like the celeb cameo's lately, Gary Busey, Billy Dee Williams, Mandy Moore, who else have we had this season?

One of my friends pointed out a good question, what is going to happen with J.D. and Janitor now that Janitor and Turk are friends, sort of.

My favorite visual gag, when Janitor makes some off hand comment about Carla's age and Kelso's glasses break and Turk explodes.

Good pair of episodes, I love this show. If Arrested Development isn't on, I'm glad this show is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks