Scrubs Question...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jonny P, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Does "Scrubs" S-1 use the "overlapping" disc holder design that was recently seen on the release of "The Muppet Show" on DVD?

I have been thinking about purchasing this set, but if it uses this design (where the bottom of the disc on top basically "touches" the disc underneath), then this probably ranks as a "no sale" for me...too much trouble getting scratched discs right out of the box...

2. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It does indeed use the overlap design. Discs 1 & 2 overlap, disc 3 is housed by itself.

Chris

3. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Ahhh...darn...

Were your discs scratched at all?

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

An irritating trend. Lately, I've purchased MI-5 Season 2, Lois & Clark Season 1, Scrubs Season 1, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom: Wild Cats, and Earth 2. All have this annoying packaging.

Thankfully, none of these had scratched discs out of the box - but give me some time and I'll manage to scratch one. I am not a circus performer. I do not juggle.

I absolutely hate this packaging - and I'm one to let a lot of things slide when it comes to packaging. I had "Quincy" in my hands at the store the other day - but put it back because of this. This awful packaging most definitely affects my purchasing decisions - if I'm already "on the fence."

Double-thins are the way to go. Same space requirements, more user-friendly.

-Scott

5. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I realize the desire to save room on ever-dwindling shelf space in stores, but it just really bugs me.

It looks "cute" -- but isn't practical at all. I realize this was discussed in the thread on pet peeves, but it just really irks me.

I've been pondering this set for a while. Because the discs are double sided scratching could be less...I suppose...I dunno...

The slimline cases are fine. I like seeing that trend in some releases.

This was a set I really wanted to get. I love the show (one of the last vestiges of "must-see" TV)...

Now that I hear Warner Bros. is going with this packaging, I am even more tepid for the future. I mean...I look at shows like "Joey" in the future and wonder what will happen with them. I'd hate to see this structure used.

Uggh...........

6. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl
    No, my disc were fine. Same for ER Season 3 and Lois & Clark, surprisingly enough. No scratches at all.

I've had lots of scratches on non-overlapping FOX sets, though.

Chris

7. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    I don't mind this kind of design, I first saw it on my R2 Starsky & Hutch sets and I thought it looked quite smart.

I'm extremely careful when handling any of my DVDs though, so I'll never scratch a disc or anything.

8. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

Same here. If good care is taken, scratching can be minimized, if not eliminated altogether. Would I prefer it to a single tray or slimcase per disc(s)? No. Is it going to affect my purchase choice? No.

9. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl
    I don't have problems with any of these types of cases once I have them in my possession. Any scratching that occurs has already happened before I got them, and usually the types of scratches point to the production facilities, probably while the discs were put into the packaging.

Chris

10. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I really hate this type of packaging too... though I will not let it stop me from buying a set I want.

I never had a problem with scratched discs either. Though I do get nervous about removing discs from this type of packaging. Especially if the set is also dual-sided discs. Not to mention it is just a pain to have to remove one disc to get to the disc you really want.

The latest addition to my collection that uses overlapping disc packaging is Dukes of Hazzard: Season 4. I am thrilled they decided to go with single sided discs and now we have disc art... but I so wish they would have changed to double thinpak boxsets... that would have been a 5 (9 disc set) thinpak boxset... definately thinner then what we ended up with.

Scrubs is still on my wishlist... I never seen an episode before so would be a blind buy... I take it I should check it out ASAP? [​IMG]

11. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Definitely. Scrubs is amazing. And when you are done with that, you will be ready for Undeclared.