What's new

SCROOGED: YULE LOVE IT EDITION (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

Meaning what exactly?

You hate this film?
You think this will be bare-boned?
You think it'll be overpriced?
You hate 'cute' titles?

For myself, I love the movie, but will only buy this if there's an improved transfer, or some amazing extra like deleted scenes.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This might be a worth a double dip for me. The version I have is definitely not very good. Bare Bones and poor transfer. But, I did get it from some bargain bin so I was't expecting much.

The movie is great. I watch it every year.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The cutesy title is from the movie though, I believe. The promo for the Scrooge special in Scrooged.
Wonder if they'll do a new transfer? The older one is decent but probably could be improved.

:)

Now if we could only get the Alastir Sim version remastered!

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I was about to buy the current version on DVD just this morning.... very glad I waited!

One of my favorite films finally getting the DVD treatment it deserves (hopefully....).

And George, I agree with you - deleted scenes would be fantastic.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'll buy it if they release it on HD DVD, otherwise no sale.

- Steve

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

Oh okay. I thought it was just a horrible title. If it's a horrible title that's from the movie then it's slightly better. :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I agree it is still cheesy. Interestingly this cover does not look much different from the last one. Often with SE's to avoid confusion they change them quite a bit like say, "Midnight Cowboy"

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Mostly that this is just another formulaic re-release from a studio which in my opinion, is growing entirely useless in the past few years.

Take an existing 80's / early 90's Gen X comedy, reissue it with marginally improved transfer-specs (if even), tack on some throw-away features and a dumb title name and put it out at double the retail price of the current version.

Continue to neglect all other existing film properties in their library.

I love Scrooged. It's a great holiday movie and a really fun, funny and light-hearted take on the traditional story.

Is a Special Edition necessary... perhaps the transfer could be spruced up a bit?

I was just posting sarcastically that I wasn't surprised to see of the very few films announced so far from the studio, this reissue with it's stupid title banner, posted.

Who knows, I might end up buying it if the price is right.

I was just having a little dig at Paramount.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha Marco and agreed. They are trying to milk every last cent out of SDdvd before HD...

Unfortunately I am kind of a sucker for this when it's a flick I like.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I'm agreeing with Marco on this. I don't want to sound like a grumbly old git, but does Scrooged really need a special edition? I mean really? I like the movie a lot, but unless the special features on the new edition are spectacular then I'll stick with what I've got.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ooooh, that would be nice but what are the odds with Paramount?
If we do get a spankin' new transfer that bodes sell for an evntual HD release.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Well, that is really subjective. There are special editions of a lot of movies that I have wondered "Why in the hell did that movie need a special edition".

I happen to like Scrooged a lot. If there is a lot of material that they can add to make it better, I am all for it.

The real issue is how the studios put out bare bones discs in the first place. This is a really hard thing. Do they put a disc out quickly, so the fans can get the movie fast, or do they hold it back for months/years waiting for new transfer, bonus material?

Having a bare bones, then a collectors edition is a way to satisfy both groups I guess.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm happy it's getting a SE....NOT pleased with another DVD getting another STUPID title. Paramount's really bad with this.

Just call it a special edition and leave it at that.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Cause I watch this each December, and God knows when the format war is going to be over and when this will make it to the winning format, so there's a number of viewings where I'd enjoy an improved transfer before I ever get around to buying this in an HD format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks