What's new

Scrooge McDuck (1 Viewer)

Floris_Merkx

Auditioning
I've been trying to find out more about Scrooge McDuck and his appearances in animated shorts all I can find is Scrooge McDuck and money (1967)
Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983)

Does anybody know if he appeared in any other shorts and if they are available on dvd or vhs??

I own a copy of the MM treasure vol 2 which has Mickey's Christmas Carol on it but I would love to see Scrooge McDuck and money and don't know if it has ever been released for home viewing.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
According to my first edition copy of the Encyclopaedia of Walt Disney Animated Characters, the only two shorts were indeed Scrooge McDuck & Money, and Mickey's Christmas Carol. But this book was published in 1987, pre-dating the Duck Tales TV series that starrted Scrooge for a start. So there may be later appearances.

But I suspect those two shorts, the TV series, and the Duck Tales: Treasures of the Lost Lamp movie are probably the only screen appearances by Uncle Scrooge. As the book notes, he tends to appear more in print as the star of various Disney comics.

No idea about whether 1967 short is available - probably not, though. I do know the Duck Tales film is being released in r4 soon, so that may be available in r1.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Which Treasures set was "Mickey's Christmas Carol" on again? MM Vol. 2? Is that Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. 2? I've been hoping the uncut version would be released on DVD.

Floris_Merkx

Auditioning
Indeed Mickey's Christmas Carol was presented in 1.66:1 and dolby digital 5.1 and released uncut on the Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. 2 :emoji_thumbsup:

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
widescreen to boot.

Did Scrooge ever make any appearances on Wonderful World of Disney before Mickey's Christmas Carol?

For some reason, Scrooge McDuck does have a lot of comics - probably the most after Donald.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
The reason is that Scrooge was created by Carl Barks for his Disney comics in the late 40s. I'd almost say that Scrooge McDuck is a Barks character - not a Disney character.

As already mentioned in this thread - it seems that McDuck's only (TV) screen appearances are in "Scrooge McDuck and Money", "Mickey's Christmas Carol" and the "Duck Tales" TV series.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

I believe he was also in a "Sport Goofy" short that aired in the '80s, shortly before DuckTales premeired.

Thanks for the info on Mickey's Christmas Carol, Floris! Good to know that it's out. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

And one of the best comics characters, ever. From some of the best comics, ever.

I like Disney animated shorts, but the Carl Barks comics are the best thing to come out of Disney.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I believe he was also in a "Sport Goofy" short that aired in the '80s, shortly before DuckTales premeired."

SG was a sort of pilot for synidcated Disney TV animation in the 80s. Many of the character designs and voices for what would become DuckTales are seen in that short.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

That makes sense. IIRC, that was the first time I remember hearing the higher-pitched Russi Taylor voicings for Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Kinda threw me off at the time. :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
One thing I have always wondered is why they hardly ever had Donald in the Duck Tales show. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that decision?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If I recall, the backstory behind Donald's absence is that he actually was in the navy :) Scrooge was taking care of his nephews while Donald served. Every so often Donald would make an appearance, presumably while "on shore leave".

cheers!

Josh

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Or Scrooge would have business with the military ("I love when things go ka-blooey!").

I think the reason why Donald wasn't a regular was because Disney was still somewhat protective of their main characters, and wasn't sure about the idea of their second-biggest being reduced to a syndicated TV series; that market was considered somewhat low-rent until DuckTales gave it a better reputation.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
That makes sense. Probably a good idea. Plus it meant Scrooge became a better known character, which is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks