SCROOGE (Albert Finney) is coming this October to Blu-ray!

warthree

Auditioning
Real Name
William Robertson
I actually got it on digital from Amazon under the title "MR. SCROOGE" about a year or so ago.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
No Overture meant no sale for me as far as the Blu-Ray was concerned. If I have to keep using the old DVD every year or every other year (sometimes a few Christmas items need a hiatus) so be it.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
No idea. Honestly I don't know what overture is supposed to be missing from current versions being shown yearly.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Update: No new Blu-ray release for SCROOGE. What they do with the digital is anyone's guess. If they simply pull the BD master for the digital chances are the overture will be omitted.

Thanks for the heads up.
I have the blu ray but I am interested in whatever develops with the digital version.

I do see it is $15 on iTunes currently. Or is there another version coming in November??

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The digital version has apparently been out since September 1st. The only way I would consider buying it is if it gets bumped to 4K.

Reactions: Osato and PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The digital version does not have the Overture. A few weeks ago it was on sale for $4,99.
That's a huge bummer. Even more so that some people don't even know it existed. Shows what a horrible job Paramount did with this release.

Reactions: Osato

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
I need musical education.

Is this musical piece supposed to show up during opening credits or end credits or elsewhere?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I need musical education. Is this musical piece supposed to show up during opening credits or end credits or elsewhere?
An overture is played before the movie proper begins. For most Roadshow presentations and special films, there is often an overture and an entr'acte before the second half if there is an intermission. Overtures were normally played with a closed curtain and the curtain opened up and the feature began when the overture was over. Among the many films with an overture: Ben Hur (1959), Spartacus (1960), Oklahoma! (1955), The Sand Pebbles (1966), Camelot (1967), Gone With The Wind (1939), Duel In The Sun (1946), Since You Went Away (1944), South Pacific (1958), Grand Prix (1966), El Cid (1961), How The West Was Won (1962) to name just a few, all of which are replicated on their blu ray incarnations. The last film to have an overture was Tarantino's The Hateful Eight (2015) when it played its 70 millimeter Roadshow engagement.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ok thanks. I swear then that I've heard this played during the movies opening and I've been watching it since I was a kid in the 70s.
Here's a rare example of the film's overture played on screen instead of before a closed curtain.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
“Scrooge” has staying power; and yet, short of the HTF membership, I know of few people who have seen it throughout these 50 years. Once seen, though,, “Scrooge” always racks up another fan; yet oddly, after a half century, has yet to be among the household Christmas staples of far older titles such as “Its a Wonderful Life”, “White Christmas” and “Miracle on 34th Street”. Perhaps, as earlier cited by Ronald Epstein, it’s been due to the marketing.

I saw “Scrooge” in its initial theatrical release. It was of major influence to my young eyes. 50 years later, it’s strengths have never paled. Hard to find fault with a film that stars Albert Finney, Alec Guinness, Dame Edith Evans and the joyfully large performance Kenneth More. Britain’s best; including the cinematography of Oswald Morris, a score by Leslie Bricusse and the direction of Ronald Neame. These ain’t slim pickings by any standard.

“Scrooge” (1970) is the perfect companion piece to “Oliver!” (1968). As it was, “Scrooge” received 5 Oscar nominations and became a Golden Globe winner for the then 33 year-old Albert Finney as Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical.

Would there be an overnight change for the future of “Scrooge” and this gem of a holiday family musical, were it to receive a deservingly proper restoration, a 4K/UHD shine and a center stage promotion upon its next incarnation? This is not for me to measure, as such investments of time, monies and outcomes are not within my expertise. All that I am able to offer is the knowledge that I would be among those devotees of “Scrooge” who would welcome such an announcement and would eagerly make a purchase; inclusive, of course, with the reinstatement of its Roadshow Overture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon Lewis

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
iTunes usually cuts the overture to the roadshow films and intermission music. Vudu retains the overture. It's very noticeable when you look at the different running times.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I loved the Overtures in the roadshow days. The lights would go to half, and this huge orchestra set the mood for the evening, usually in multi-track sound. And it was so exciting when the music came to the climax, the curtain started to open as the lights dimmed, and the studio logo appeared leading to the Main Title began. Goosebumps!

TBH I never bought the blu of Scrooge because of the missing overture since the DVD includes it.

Reactions: ahollis and PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw Scrooge at Radio City Music Hall. We were in New York expecting my aunt and uncle to come back to America from an early December trip to Scotland. Some of the images in "See the Phantoms" really freaked me out on that huge Music Hall screen with the eerie soundtrack all around you.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhakarubneha