What's new

SCROOGE (Albert Finney) is coming this October to Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
And this wasn't even supposed to be on Paramount's schedule this year... but there it is! Do we know yet if the additional scenes, TV bumpers and end credits from the syndicated television broadcast, and any extras from the surviving cast and crew, will be included? Or will this BD release be similar to the bare-bones 2003 DVD release?

I hope a pre-order listing for Jeff Goldblum's long-awaited 1980 TV-movie The Legend of Sleepy Hollow also shows up soon.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
wow, this came a lot quicker than I would have guessed. Nice cover art by the way

649e2d5e_scroogeblu.jpg

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I can only imagine tbat this will be a direct port of the DVD. New extras are scarce on Blu-rays of previously released catalog titles.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The lack of extras won't bother me in the least. Just give me a quality transfer along the lines of The Ten Commandments or Braveheart and I'll be ecstatic.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I applaud the news of SCROOGE being released on Blu-ray this year. This bit of news and also learning that Sony is working on a Blu-ray of 1776 is very exciting.

While Paramount controls the CBS titles that were produced by Center Cinema Films, I find it interesting that the latest catalog Blu-ray titles have been released are from that company. BIG JACK and RIO LOBO are both owned by CBS so here is the score card for 2011 is:

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - Paramount
BIG JAKE - CBS Center Cinema Films
RIO LOBO - CBS Center Cinema Films
SCROOGE - CBS Center Cinema Films - Announced - Paramount - Announced - Ann- - =a==
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S - Paramount - Announced

I wonder who at CBS Home Entertainment is pushing the titles and I am glad they are.

If anyone can think of any other catalog Paramount Tiles from this year, chime in.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yay! I'll be happy to add the Blu-Ray to my VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD copies of the film. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
d5cb185a_musicalposter.jpg

Wow. I just stumbled into this thread days later to see
this news broken. Really...I had no idea!

Listen....

As far as I am aware, this wasn't on Paramount's list of Blu-ray
releases this year. At least it wasn't on the schedule at the
end of last year. For that matter, neither was Once Upon A
Time In The West (at least not domestically).

All of you should applaud yourselves for making it happen.

Remember the Paramount thread where Ron Smith was asking
what titles you guys wanted to see on Blu-ray?
Well, Scrooge was an overwhelming pick within that thread.

I also spoke to someone influential at Paramount last November
and urged them to consider Scrooge for a release.

So, it's happening! This forum was responsible for it.

I expect Paramount will do a great job with this transfer. They
have been doing remarkable work lately with their catalog products.

It is my guess we may see Little Big Man from the CBS library

sooner than later as well. I have no basis for that opinion other

than it was another heavily requested title from that same library.

Oh, and Paramount, since I know you are reading this thread....

Thank you very much!
Thank you very much!
That's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
ChrisCook said:
And this wasn't even supposed to be on Paramount's schedule this year... but there it is! Do we know yet if the additional scenes, TV bumpers and end credits from the syndicated television broadcast, and any extras from the surviving cast and crew, will be included? Or will this BD release be similar to the bare-bones 2003 DVD release?

I hope a pre-order listing for Jeff Goldblum's long-awaited 1980 TV-movie The Legend of Sleepy Hollow also shows up soon.
Are you sure the syndicated version was longer than the theatrical version? Whenever I saw it, it was actually much shorter. They cut out some verses from the finale; they also cut out the scenes of Scrooge in hell. I watched the film on its earliest network airing circa 1972--these scenes were missing then too.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Any word is Scooged is getting released same day as The Digital Bits reported? So far, it's not on any other web sites...

LCD22

Screenwriter
Ethan Riley said:
Are you sure the syndicated version was longer than the theatrical version? Whenever I saw it, it was actually much shorter. They cut out some verses from the finale; they also cut out the scenes of Scrooge in hell. I watched the film on its earliest network airing circa 1972--these scenes were missing then too.
The overture and exit music were also excised. I wonder how CBS/Paramount will handle this on the BD.
Ethan, I hope these two posts clear up the missing (deleted) scenes inserted back into the film which is what I was alluding to, not the heavily edited broadcast of the theatrical version. (There are also the TV bumpers and end credits created in the same style of the opening credits that were also added.) That's the copy I have recorded from the late '80s and suggested to be included in any future release of Scrooge, along with additional extras (noting that Albert Finney and Leslie Bricusse are still with us).
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/266553/scrooge-1970-will-we-ever-see-a-special-edition/30#post_3771047
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/266553/scrooge-1970-will-we-ever-see-a-special-edition/30#post_37710
I still can't believe Scrooge is on schedule for THIS YEAR!

LCD22

Screenwriter
Bob Cashill said:
I can only imagine tbat this will be a direct port of the DVD. New extras are scarce on Blu-rays of previously released catalog titles.
That's probably what we're getting then, until the press release. I wish more often then not they would include extras, in fact Scrooge and The Freshman (1990) are my two most-wanted unreleased BD catalog titles lacking any on DVD (the latter being one of Columbia/Tri-Star's earliest release).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
ChrisCook said:
The overture and exit music were also excised. I wonder how CBS/Paramount will handle this on the BD.
Ethan, I hope these two posts clear up the missing (deleted) scenes inserted back into the film which is what I was alluding to, not the heavily edited broadcast of the theatrical version. (There are also the TV bumpers and end credits created in the same style of the opening credits that were also added.) That's the copy I have recorded from the late '80s and suggested to be included in any future release of Scrooge, along with additional extras (noting that Albert Finney and Leslie Bricusse are still with us).
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/266553/scrooge-1970-will-we-ever-see-a-special-edition/30#post_3771047
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/266553/scrooge-1970-will-we-ever-see-a-special-edition/30#post_37710
I still can't believe Scrooge is on schedule for THIS YEAR!
Thanks, Chris. But, hmm...I'm not sure if I believe that post. I think he's recalling a scene from either the George C. Scott or Kelsey Grammer versions. He recalls, "The first scene missing, is when the ghost of Christmas Present shows Scrooge the children of Want and Ignorance from beneath his robes. The second is during the ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, where some of the townspeople are talking in the resale shop about taking Scrooge's bed curtains and such. " I'll believe it when I see it--I'd have to have some screencaps or confirmation from more members. I'd seen that movie during its original tv airing, and 1980s syndicated airings--I do not recall either of those scenes he mentions, but there's stuff like that in later remakes. Anybody else recall these scenes?

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Can anyone find out from paramount if indeed we are getting the full roadshow version with the entrance music exit music etc?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would guess that whatever was on the DVD release
will be on the Blu-ray release. Didn't the DVD have all
the entrance and exit music?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I know the overture is on the DVD becuase a viewer has the option to play the movie with or without it. I assume the exit music is also there, but once "Merry Christmas" comes up, I usually stop the disc..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't have any concrete information on the specs
of this disc but I would bet that this Blu-ray is going
to be a simple port of the DVD.

Any cut scenes from televised release will most likely
not be appearing here.

I just don't see the studio putting that much effort into
this title by including all that stuff.

I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

I would like extras too, but if it is a port of the dvd, I won't be too disappointed. My friend played one of the kids in the film....he is the older boy wearing the apron. I'll have to tell him about the blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks