What's new

Blu-ray Review Scrooge (1970) Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No Overture = NO SALE!!!!!!!! I am through buying a compromised product that was previously made available the *right* way, especially one in a format I still use more often (standard DVD) than I do Blu-Ray. If CBS or Paramount doesn't fix it, then shame on them for their stupidity in putting this together.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have always had difficulty getting through Oliver. Have previously attempted

it twice already, years ago, with little luck. Just found it a bit dull for my tastes.

However, some of the comments about reusing those sets for Scrooge made

me curious. So, tonight, I watched Oliver in its entirety. And you know what?

I made it through the entire film, and rather enjoyed it. Not a favorite by a longshot

as I found some of the music and scenes a bit slow, but I really had to pat myself

on the back for getting through it.

In any event...

Yes, you can see similarities between Oliver and Scrooge.

As far as the set pieces go, the only blatant recognizable set piece is the

waterway. In both Scrooge and Oliver there is a waterway with a bridge that

goes over it. In Oliver it served as an entranceway to the tavern. In Scrooge

it was scaled down somewhat, in a scene where the main character is talking

with the two men who are looking for charity.

...and something else that gives the entire Scrooge/Oliver similarities away....

The puppet show. Same puppet show in both films, both with the same

character noises. It's amazing. It's as if the same puppet show existed in

both films.

So, I am totally onboard that Scrooge was filmed with the leftover set
pieces from Oliver.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I have always had difficulty getting through Oliver. Have previously attempted

it twice already, years ago, with little luck. Just found it a bit dull for my tastes.

I have always enjoyed both films with Scrooge being a little more of a favorite than Oliver!. But a few years ago a group of friends watched Oliver! and they enjoyed it so much that the next time we got together, we watch Scrooge. Well musical & Dickens and if you liked one, you should like the other. Scrooge did not go over as well as Oliver! and they one girl even asked "Isn't that the same bridge in Oliver?" That was when I really realized they liked Oliver! better, while I still like Scrooge better, especially if it had the Overture.

Question, I am out of town for an extended period of time and do not have my Scrooge! DVD to compare, but I don't remember the exit music being on the DVD. Would someone tell me if I am wrong are not please?

I also saw SCROOGE at Radio City Music Hall, and it remains one of my most enchanting moviegoing memories. The huge audience went happily hysterical during the finale when Scrooge was reborn and took to the streets.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
I saw Scrooge at the Dominion Tottenham court Road London in 1970 on the huge Todd AO 70mm screen... a memorable experience. Cant remember if it was blown up to 70mm or not. I do remember though the 1800 seater cinema was packed full with a hugely appreciative audience. I do SO miss those roadshow presentations when going to the cinema was an EVENT and Scooge did not disappoint !

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
the Cry has beenheard. those responsible for leaving off the overture from scrooge are no longer to be found working for Paramount !!! What happens from here i don't know.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Joe Caps said:
the Cry has beenheard. those responsible for leaving off the overture from scrooge are no longer to be found working for Paramount !!! What happens from here i don't know.
Didn't think it was worth people losing their jobs over it. But it does seem to be the latest trend in classic blu-rays: screwing up overtures and other music. West Side Story, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, now this--

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Woah...I don't think anybody losing their job over at

Paramount was a direct result of this release.

All I was suggesting is that the one person who would

be most helpful in possibly getting the disc corrected

is allegedly no longer working for the studio.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Like some others, I saw this at Radio City Music Hall during its original release, in 70mm. Marvelous film. I don't remember the overture playing at the Hall. Perhaps it was cut for time, there was a long and wonderful show with the Rockettes. The overture is actually fairly short and musically not that interesting, but I did miss it, it is on the LD. Otherwise, great Blu-ray. The stereo separations were actually preserved for once!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I finally watched this in its entirety on Christmas Day with lots of family who had never seen it. It looked and sounded magnificent. What an improvement over the brownish dull prints I've aeen in the past. The people who had never seen it were quite impressed. No one should pass this up over the missing overture.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
David_B_K said:
I finally watched this in its entirety on Christmas Day with lots of family who had never seen it. It looked and sounded magnificent. What an improvement over the brownish dull prints I've aeen in the past. The people who had never seen it were quite impressed. No one should pass this up over the missing overture.
Then be prepared to kiss that overture goodbye forever, because Paramount will never learn to do it right if we accept it any old way they throw it out.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Then kiss a stunning version of the movie goodbye. It's a shame the overture was missing; but the movie itself is more important. Do you really think the disc will be re-released because people are boycotting it because of the lack of the overture?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Do you really think studios will care about such details if they feel no consequences for leaving them out? Why should they bother or care if it sells anyway?

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Just got to watch this and have to say it was amazing. As is mentioned in the review above, when I first put it in, the opening sequences had me thinking this was no big improvement, but once the movie started I found myself drawn in so much that I didn't notice any flaws at all. I was just captivated by it once again. This really is a spectacular movie.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
NY2LA said:
Do you really think studios will care about such details if they feel no consequences for leaving them out? Why should they bother or care if it sells anyway?
Physical media, particularly of classic films is dwindling. I feel certain that SCROOGE has seen its last disc incarnation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Correct. I think this may be the last time we see

SCROOGE released on physical media.

....that is, unless perhaps, 4K becomes the next

frontier for physical media. In that case -- if and
when it happens -- we will be able to argue the

point to CBS/PARAMOUNT prior to any consideration

given to another release.

There is nothing that can be done at this point

with the current Blu-ray release.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
eric scott richard said:
I guess I can listen to the Overture on one player, then switch to the feature on the other one.
You may have meant this as a joke but it is almost exactly what I did. I copied the overture from my LD onto a CD and then played the CD prior to the movie (actually in the same player).

Real Name
Paul Miles Schneider
I have to say I was very sad and disappointed to discover that the Overture was missing from the Blu-ray Disc release. It would have been so easy to be included. It couldn't have been for any reason other than an unfortunate oversight. I saw this film on Christmas Eve in 1970 in Lawrence, Kansas, at the Varsity Theatre. My dad took me to see it. I was eight years old at the time, and it was pure magic. I never saw Christmas or Christmas Eve the same way again, after that. I can tell you, without a doubt, that the movie had the Overture included. I remember the first time I saw it, they dimmed the lights down completely to black (except for the exit lights), and we sat in the dark (way too dark) with the curtain open through the entire overture before the film started. When I went back to see it a second time, because I loved it so much, they actually did it the right way, by dimming the audience lights down, but keeping the floodlights low on the closed curtain prior to the film starting. Someone must have complained or they figured out how it should be presented properly. Regardless, I can tell you that the Overture wasn't present exclusively for a "road show" release. I remember it well at a smaller theatre in Kansas. And when the film was re-released several years later, the Overture was present again. It should have been included on the BD release. Such a shame. It always puts me in the right festive mood to watch the film, and I've come to expect it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks