"Scrooge" 1935 Image entertainment

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WilliamMc, Nov 12, 2005.

1. WilliamMc

WilliamMc Stunt Coordinator

I read that this is the best version of this old 1935 classic. Why is it so dang expensive? Yesterday I found the Westlake version for $1, and grabbed it as a preview before I spent more for the Image release. I was surprized to see that it also had all the restored footage as it came in at 78 min. The print it was mastered from is another story. The first 15 mins is quite a wild ride. The frames have mumerous white dots flashing on the screen. It almost hurts your eyes watching it. The image is also very shakey, but all this settles down several minutes into the filmas do the audio pops.
    My question is if anyone here owns the Image entertainment version. Was the print in better shape? I don't want to spend 22 times more for another film from a trashed print.

2. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

I wanted to get this title myself and noticed the large variations in running time. What footage had to be restored?

3. WilliamMc

Restored might have been the wrong word. Many years ago the film had been edited down to 60 min, and I think most of the missing footage was during the Chistmas past scenes. This footage seems to have been added back in. Still looking for someone who has Image version. I may have to wait for a price drop. It's insanley expensive for a disc with no extras!

4. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I have the Image disc, but I couldn't tell you how it is compared to the PD versions. My guess would be a lot better, considering I think it's quite nice for being a 70 year old film.

Andy

5. WilliamMc

Is this a Canadian release? Perhaps that explains the price?

6. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    In my collection, I have three DVD releases of "Scrooge" (1935).

10/16/2000 Release:

Marengo Films Presents - A Classic Christmas Double Feature: "Scrooge" (1935) 61 minutes - with "Beyond Tomorrow" 84 minutes. (Classic films are subject to the aging process. We have done our best to obtain the finest quality prints available to produce this DVD for your viewing enjoyment.) SRP: $15.98

11/20/2001 Release:

Front Row Features - Charles Dickens Classic: "Scrooge" (1935) 78 minutes. (Front Row Entertainment Canada Inc.) SRP: $7.99

10/29/2002 Release:

Image Entertainment - "Scrooge" (1935) 78 minutes (From the Blackhawk Films collection) SRP: $24.99

Not viewing these in awhile, I just briefly went from chapter to chapter on each disc.

Note: Front Row Features shows "Blackhawk Films" on the feature print. Image Entertainment states it on the DVD case.

Without a doubt, the best quality picture of all three DVD's, is on the "Image Entertainment" disc, with the print looking like it was restored and if not restored, a very good to excellent preserved copy, compared to the other two. The worst is the Merengo Films disc, with copious amounts of aged marks and scratches. The Front Row Features DVD also showing the prints age.

Paul

7. WilliamMc

Thanks! That is what I needed.