Scripture reference on cover of DVD ETC.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Ell, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Dave Ell

Dave Ell Auditioning

Hi,
    This question has probably been asked several times before, but I'm new to this forum. However, I've noticed a different bible scripture reference on the spine (backbone) of every issue of DVD ETC. Who selects the different bible reference each time? I think it is AWESOME and I am encouraged to see it.

This brings me to another question..?? For anybody out there that might have a real appreciation for the Contemporary Christian music genre... 1) What are your favorite artists, and 2) Which of those artists do you find particularly worthwhile to take to a prospective new equipment demo listening session (for speakers,etc.)due to the high audio quality of his/her/their recordings?

I really like Jars of Clay, Jennifer Knapp, Third Day and Jeremy Camp.

Dave.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

The scripture reference is chosen by the editors. We've had some discussions about this before, and you can imagine that there have been mixed reactions. [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure however, that Terry or Tim are perfectly willing to discuss it in more detail once again.

Cees

3. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

4. Dave Ell

Dave Ell Auditioning

Cees,

Thank you very much for your WELCOME greeting and reply to my curiosity about the story behind the "bible verse" reference on the spine. My interest in DVD etc. has always been based on the content of the magazine and my love for audio. I attended the recent HE2003 show in S.F. and visited the DVD etc. booth and ended up subscribing (I know.. thank you Lord for advertisers), as I was buying on the newsstand every month anyway. So, I REALLY love the magazine!

However, when I saw the bible reference on the spine I got excited for a few reasons: 1) I share a personal connection with these references which I appreciate deeply, and 2) from an audio interest perspective I felt I might have a shot at getting some feedback (from somebody out there..??) who also desires for knowledgeable or interested dialogue about what I believe to be a very legitimate and high quality musical option in Contemporary Christian music.

So, if anybody has some feedback to me on the following from my previous post re: who your favorite artists are, and in particular which ones do you feel would make for a great audio demo... please chime in. Or if you'd just like to point me in a direction to attain some feedback in this regard that would be awesome!

So, Thanks again Cees!

By the way, I purchased the Premiere Issue of HDTV etc. recently and was disappointed the bible verse wasn't on the spine there too.. Maybe it's an Easter Egg thing and I just have to find it inside somewhere...?? hehehe..

Dave.

5. Dave Ell

Dave Ell Auditioning

Ronn. W,

Thank you also for the link to the other thread. I enjoyed reading the posts from the DVD etc. staff (and the others)regarding the scripture references on the backbone. I feel Avodah Publishing is putting out a great product with DVD etc., and I LOVE the new HDTV etc. Magazine (it really helped clear up a lot of my questions about the emerging TV technologies) as well!

For what it's worth, and just my own personal opinion... I don't believe the success of these two magazines is coincidental, nor is it even probable given the difficult business environment for magazine publishers these days. Hmmmm, I wonder what it could be then? :b I Love that Sept. spine reference! Keep it coming guys!

Thanks again Ronn!

Dave.

6. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dave,

Sorry I am just getting around to replying to your thread. I can see that some of our other loyalists have been taking care of your queries--thanks guys!

I hope some folks reply to your thread about the music--I would like to see some feedback there myself.

We will be including the Bible verse on the next issue of HDTV ETC. Magazine--it was omitted on the last issue through an error in last minute production.

We include the verse as a "quiet" testament to our faith in Christ. And we hope that it brings inspiration to others in the process. You may also come to learn that Avodah is Hebrew for "work and worship." Indeed, our success in this climate is attributed to Christ.

The verses have always been chosen by staff with exception to a few that have been recommended by readers. If you (or anyone) would like us to consider a verse, please inform us through this thread.

Cheers.

7. steven miller

steven miller Auditioning

I am glad that I stumbled across this forum because I too was surprised (disturbed, actually) to see the scriptural reference on the spine of the magazine, and was thinking about contacting the publishers directly. I guess I find myself in the minority when I say that it is inappropriate for a general interest magazine to contain religious references. This is especially so when it is likely that the magazine is read by people of many (or no) faiths.

While you say that it is "a "quiet" testament to our faith in Christ", and I suppose that taken in context of it being the only reference (other than the publisher's corporate name) to religion in the whole magazine, this is true. However, it is also a rather blatant and obvious airing of your religious beliefs. Doing it inadvertently is one thing. Intentionally is a whole different story.

And "bringing inspiration to others" can be construed as prostylatizing, which can be offensive to others that do not share your beliefs.

I believe that religious beliefs are intensely personal and should not be worn on ones' sleeves. By advertising them marginalizes those who do not share your beliefs. America is a pluralistic society, where all beliefs are (hypothetically) tolerated. It was founded in part by people who fled their home land because their religious beliefs were not tolerated. It seems to me that we are heading down that path again, with less tolerance abounding. There is no reason to add to the rising level of intolerance.

Well, enough of that. I hope that you can understand my and many other's point of view. And as I do enjoy the magazine, and did subscribe, I will continue to read it.

8. terry malibu

terry malibu Agent

Gentlemen,

We really appreciate your support of the magazine and that you continue to read it month after month.
    We always new that our decision to add a bible verse to the spine could be controversial and it has been.
    As you have stated, no where within the pages will you find us preaching. Our decision to post the scripture on the spine is our 'personal' way of giving thanks for our ability to do what we do.
    We also know of advertisers who have decided not to advertise with us because of this.
    We will continue this as long as we are putting out a magazine, which based on our success, we believe it will be for a long,long time. But then, we have an edge....

All the Best!

Terry

9. JoshuaT

JoshuaT Stunt Coordinator

I like it!

10. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Because of the boldness of the publishers of DVD ETC magazine, I have decided to subscribe to the printed version of the magazine.

Keep up your good work. We all reap what we sow. May the harvest be very great indeed.

11. Michael Laurino

Michael Laurino Auditioning

Good Day,

I rarely jump into the forum, because both Terry and Clint do a great job in responding to your inquiries about our testimony on the spine of our publication. I am listed on the web site as the "Theological Advisor"...kind of a tongue in check title...just a believer!! I am always amazed when someone takes a negative position, in our right to post a simple scripture reference in a very obscure position on our magazine. The very rights that are discussed, are the ones we exercise...freedom, we have it too! It never ceases to amaze me the offense created by the very mention of God. We can curse, show nudity, slice people into pieces and humiliate each other, and that's just on reality shows, yet you put a simple reference on the spine of a tiny little magazine and people go nuts...That alone is mentioned in the very scriptures we try and expose. I wonder if the fortune cookies in Chinese restuarants from confusious offend those very same people, yet I have never read about a movement to remove Fortune cookies from society.

Peace...[​IMG]

12. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

David, welcome to the forum and I too love the scripture references. You also seem to have impeccable taste in music. Jennifer Knapp is by far my favorite. What else can I say about her.....incredible lyrics, great voice and she puts all she has into every single song. By the way, did you know she has a double disc coming out on November 4? Third Day would be a second and Jars of Clay third.

13. steven miller

steven miller Auditioning

Stan, up until now I had absolutely no intention of following up my original post because I said my peace and felt that that was enough. However, your post compels me to respond.

First, no one has "gone nuts" over this issue. All posts, negative and positive have been well thought out and clearly have remained at a civil level.

Second, in my opinion, your joke(?) about fortune cookies has lowered the level of the debate.

Finally, the issue has never been about "...the very mention of God." It is about consideration for the religious belief of others. Unfortunately your post confirms my original point, that being the apparent intolerance for other's beliefs.

It still remains that you guys put out a terrific magazine, and for that, I thank you.

Steven Miller

14. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Stunt Coordinator

Gentlemen, the thread here is proof positive that we still live in a country where we can share/express our opinions freely and intelligently.

I agree that our reference to scripture on the spine of each magazine is a bold move on our part.

It may help to understand that my relationship with Christ is a "yard stick." if you will. A system of measurement by which I keep my life in check.

Whether or not an individual believes in Jesus Christ is perhaps less of an issue here. As Christians, we are expected to live lives of honesty and integrity in all that we do. we are to help others, Christian or not, when they are in need. There is of course more to being a Christian than that. My point is however, whether you believe in Jesus Christ or not--living life as a "Christian" is not a bad way to live. Perhaps I would be more weary of those who "do" for their own personal glory.

I find it funny how quick people are to mock my Christian lifestyle and yet they don't give a second thought to persons who idolize gang-members, drug users and murderers. In our society it is readily accepted when a person wheres a jersey of a favorite basketball, football or baseball player. Perhaps that player has been convicted of many crimes--we don't give it a second thought. And yet when a person reveals they have been convicted by Christ we are so quick to judge.

I'm not saying that is happening in this forum--just a noteworthy point. I appreciate the fact that many of you continue to read DVD ETC. Magazine regardless of your personal beliefs. Likewise I am pleased to learn that many of you find inspiration in the scripture we place on each issue.

Let us all be happy that we still have the freedom to speak openly about such topics!

-Clint

15. Dave Ell

Dave Ell Auditioning

WOW! This is pretty amazing! I last posted on Aug. 27th, and checked back a few times since to see no further replies... and then I check back tonight, and oh my gosh!

OK, for starters:
    Clint, Terry, Stan, thank you so much for not only your replies but more importantly answering some of my questions "beyond" the original questions. I am obviously NOT disappointed in your responses, but rather overjoyed at this very moment..!! [​IMG]

Steven Miller, I am sorry the scripture reference is disturbing for you. However, I am also thankful you have connected with DVD ETC. on another level and find the content within the pages to your liking, as have I as well. While I have a direct connect with the scriptures and look for them on each cover .. my original post also referenced my love for audio. My guess (?) is on that front the entire lot of us in this thread may have a lot in common..?? So, I personally want to express my gratitude for your own devotion to that interest, regardless of your personal opinion about the cover. [​IMG] I just happen to love looking up the verse each month to find out what it says!

Jim Williams, now that is inspirational! Thanks for the uplift in my day!

Tommy G, How are you? Jennifer Knapp is pretty new to me, but I can't seem to listen to enough of her because each time I do I hear something else more special than the time before. What a talent she is, and that voice! I was NOT aware she has a new CD coming out soon.. Do you know when? I can't seem to locate a current website for her, so how did you find out about it? I am going to go see Jars of Clay and Caedmon's Call in concert in San Luis Obispo, CA (Cal Poly campus)on Nov. 13th with my daughters. If you don't have the (Jars of Clay) Eleventh Hour DVD then you should pick it up IMHO. This group is even better live than they are studio. QUESTION FOR ANYBODY: Do you know of any Contemporary Christian group that has or is planning to release an SACD or DVD-Audio version of an album? I know Take 6 has, but that is all I know about..? OK, Tommy G, I've also got Third Day's Live In Concert on DVD (hand signed by the band), and Michael W. Smith's Worship DVD as well. Do you have any of those or others?

Lastly, thank you all for sharing of and about yourselves in the previous posts. It's always been a GREAT magazine (DVD ETC.) to read, but after tonight it all just got even better! Thanks again!

Dave Ellington

16. Dave Ell

Dave Ell Auditioning

Tommy G,

I just read your post again and I noticed you mentioned Nov. 4th as the release date for Jennifer's new double CD.. (duh). So, thanks for answering that one literally before I could finish asking the question! Have a GREAT week!

Thanks Again!

Dave Ellington

17. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

David, this might just end up moving over to the Music Area or we might be asked to start another thread there but just an FYI about Jennifer Knapp's upcoming release. It was a pretty unprecedented piece of work because the fans were able to vote on what songs were going to be released on disc 1 which will be a greatest hits. We were also given the opportunity as fans to give testimonials as to what each song means to them and those testimonials can be put on the cd itself. The second disc is still kind of a mystery. We've been told that there is new stuff but speculation is that it will include some of her old out of print Wishing Well stuff as well as new songs that never made it on to her cd. Here is the best place to get info on her http://www.forumfree.net/index.php?c=1141&

On a side note, I went to see Jars this summer with my kids and had the opportunity to work their merchandise table. Great experience for my kids. I have their oldest and newest but am working on adding more to my collection. No dvds yet as I just would not watch them enough to be worth the money. Take care.

18. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    While they hold no significance for me, I am neither disturbed or offended by them. In fact, I hardly notice them. I am sorry to here a few advertisers feel otherwise. It seems to me they should be more concerned about circulation, rates and reviews than a few numbers and dots on the spline. But I guess thats there choice. I choose to read it for the content and info. Not to mention a little friendly debate (remember those $800. speaker wires Clint!). I am surprised at the number of responses to this. Maybe if you could fit the "test center rating system" on the spline, more readers would notice that as well! Just joking of course. Keep up the good work. You guys and gals seem to have a good handle on things. GENE

19. Dave Ell

Dave Ell Auditioning

Tommy G,

I'll make this my last post specific to music, however, I thought the DVD music videos qualified me to stay on this thread..?? :wink: Anyway, just one last quick comment re: a few other Contemporary Christian artists who I feel have very unique vocal/songwriting styles and qualites that take you beyond the talent and into their hearts: I also enjoy listening to Bebo Norman and Chris Rice... Two different styles, but both very engaging. Vocals are just spot on! Anyway, thanks for the reply and the JK link. I may PM you after her new CD releases on Nov. 4th to get your thoughts..?? Have a GREAT evening Tommy!

Clint/Terry/Stan, Keep those scripture verses coming and thank you for your terrific products and testimony @ Avodah Publishing!

David Ellington