What's new

Screwed again, Xbox Live Major gripe. 'Rant' (1 Viewer)

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
So today I go out an pick up my long awaited Xbox Live starter kit happy as can be. Get it home, crack open the package and look at the handy connection guide, get ready to hook things up and then find the grief inducing note 'Major Credit Card Required". How can this be I think, I just purchased a years subscription, why in God's name would I need to use a credit card? Why because I decided to pay for everything in cash, and not build up a credit rating should I be punished??? This is absolutely unnecessary, and in my opinion just bad business. After seeing this I scanned the outside of the box, and notice in print so small I need a microscope, that you need a Credit Card. I would think that may be a little more important than just a "oh by the way" type message. So thank you so much Micro$oft for totally destroying one of the main reasons I bought and Xbox. No Mech Assualt Online or downloadable content, No added levels for Splinter Cell, No Ghost Recon, and MOST importantly, NO HALO 2 ONLINE!!! I am seriously considering selling my Xbox, and sticking with my PS2 and Gamecube. I may miss out on some exclusive content, but if I can't play online, what is the point, may as well just buy the same games for my PC, and play Credit Card free. Just hope I can return the Xbox live kit considering it is open. Haven't touched the software package, so fingers crossed. Maybe, God willing, MS will actually consider us unfortunate individuals who use real money, and decide not to bow down to the credit card companies.

Anyone here know of a way arround this issue. I sent almost the same letter as above to MS and hope there is something I can do to get online, or I may just sell my Xbox, there isn't that much exclusive content anymore, at least not enough offline content that holds my interest.

End Rant.....

KC

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Try getting a Debit card that withdraws from your checking account. They can be used as credit cards. Alternatively, I think Paypal can be used as a "virtual" credit card. No offense, but I don't understand why you have such an anti-credit card mentality. Alot of people do abuse their credit, but others such as myself, only purchase what we can pay for when the bill arrives. I've never carried a balance in the year I've had a card. By the way, I'm having more fun with my XBox offline than I am online so even if you don't go online don't let that sour you from the xbox entirely.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
I guess my big issue, is I should not need a credit card to play online. I have spent my $70cnd, bought my year subscription, paid for my xbox, and whatever games I choose to play online, why do you need the security of a credit card? I know they want it for age verification as well, but why? So we can keep the 13 year old immaturity off the online games? Well how many kids just have Mommy and Daddy sign up, so what's the point? So in a year from now, when I may no longer have a Xbox, and had long forgotten that I have a auto renewing subscription after 1 year, they get a fast cash grab? It is total BS! Yet another fine example of the M$ mind set.

JamesH - Thanks for that stunning piece of wisdom, with no cosigner and no previous credit history I won't be able to get one anytime soon.

Dave - I wish I could use Paypal that way, but again, without a credit card sign-up for them, I am out of luck. I know that they offer a sigh-up through your financial institute, but unfortunately not in Canada yet. In Canada you can only use paypal if you have a Credit Card.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Needing a credit card was no big surprise . Dreamcast had the same thing with there online gaming. Microsoft even mentioned it before xbox lives launch and like you said its on the box. Get a CC, use it for live and then put that sucker in a safe place and dont use it.

capt

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Joey,

Didn't follow the whole live pre release hype, I just got my xbox in January, so I was unaware that CC was a requirement. Never hooked the DC up online either, didn't see much reason back then, I was mostly into the PC online games at the time.

I understand it was stated on the box as a requirement, but come on, I had no reason to check the specs for hookup. Xbox, yup, Network cable, got it, broadband connection, no prob. Creditcard???, excuse me? I already payed you. When I go to the store to buy a game that says it is for Xbox, I don't expect to have conditions applied to me playing it. Sure if it is an online only game, then it is usually marketed as such. If I bought Project Gotham, got it home plugged it in, and found out I could only use it with a Racing wheel, I would be just as pissed. Why do I need to commit to further purchases? why do I need the headache of telling them not to renew my account next year if I so choose?

This kinda reminds me of alot of online Internet service.
You can get free access to said service for 72 hours with use of a credit card, but if you forget to cancel before then, you are charged. Seems a little un-professional to me is all.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Welcome to the 20th century... I mean 21st century. :)

Seriously, you *want* a credit card. Getting a good credit rating is only good for you in the long run.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
JamesH - Thanks for that stunning piece of wisdom, with no cosigner and no previous credit history I won't be able to get one anytime soon.
Is getting a credit card that hard in Canada? Even without any previous credit history, I was able to get a card with a $500 credit limit when I was in college without the slightest problem whatsoever. No cosigning or anything... I've never had any issues with credit because I pay my bills in their entirety as soon as they arrive. About the worst case scenario in the U.S. is that they give you a card with a low limit and a high APR, but the APR doesn't matter if you pay your bills in full and on time.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Heh, you act as if it's a privelage to have a credit card. Do you even know how they work? Credit card companies keep a percentage of the money for every purchase you make, so that means they WANT you to apply for them. Even if you pay your bill off every month and incur no fees from them, they are still profiting.

It's not as if it's difficult to get a credit card. I am a 21 year old college student with no reportable income(I do get some cash from ebay though). I currently have a Mastercard from my bank with a $1700 limit. I have a Target Visa that has seen fit to give an unemployed person a $5000 limit. I also have another card that I was able to get in a matter of minutes by applying online, but I've never used it. I think it has a limit in the $2000 range. PLEASE do not try to tell me that it's difficult to get a credit card.

Let me guess. You think the big mean credit card company is going to take all your money away? As long as you make sure to get one with no annual fee and pay it in full every month, a CC is basically an INTEREST FREE loan, which is a pretty good deal in my book.

It really seems like rather than trying to get your problem solved, you'd rather just whine and complain. You could have already applied for and recieved a credit card in the time you've spent posting here.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Kris,

Well, I fully sympatize with you. I agree, it's totally rediculous to require a card, and I agree with your analysis of why they are doing it.

I know I'm thinking twice about it, even though I own and use CC's all the time.

BTW: if you do ever change you mind about getting a CC, you probably won't have too much trouble. The two credit agencies, Equifax and Trans Union Canada, receive information about your payment habits for everything, including phone bill and cable payments. So unless you still live at home and don't have anything in your own name, you do have a credit history. Or this may be bad news if your problem isn't CC, but rather credit histories. :) I guess it could be considered and invasion of privacy.

Martin.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
JamesH -

Not sure where your from, but here I have seen nothing but rejection on the credit card front. My Girlfriend/ Now wife has applied for Visa and mastercard multiple time, with nothing but rejection letters. If you are a student, I know they just trow the cards at you. But as a blue collar working bum, no such luck. She doesn't make a ton of cash, but surely enough to warrant a minimum limit card. But no luck. I too tried a few years back for online ordering purposed, but try being a self employed contractor and applying, you may as well be dead, you would have an easier time getting approved. Hell afetr six months of rejection, my wife was finally able to get a small ($500) loan from a credit agency here (Loan sharks almost) and we are slowly building her credit. But as of 2 months ago we applied and yet again were rejected.

Believe me, if I had another option I would take it. Maybe credit is easier to get down in the US, but here you have to have a cosigner for almost everything. Hell I needed a cosigner to get an apartment here, with a work history of over 2 years yet. Ended up renting a house because it was private and not through a company.

But bottom line about my gripe is M$ has no right to require the info. I would be just as pissed if I had CC. They have no right to ask me for the info, as I have already purchased there product.

It's like buying a new car straight out cash, but a Ford/Gm whoever asking you for credit info after the fact. Why do they need it? I have already bought the car, but I can't drive it until I give them my credit info. It is none of there business. The transaction is complete, what I do with the product now is my business.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I agree with you on the car, but it's a bad analogy and doesn't really fit the situation. A car is merchandise, whereas Xbox Live is mainly a service, thus you need to abide by their TOS.

I can sympathize if you have a hard time getting a credit card there, although it's tough to believe our countries are THAT different. Maybe you should try going to department stores and applying for store cards that can also be used somewhere else. If you have Targets there, they'll give a Target Visa to ANYONE. There is also a web service(I'm not sure of the name), that you sign up for, and they will create a temporary credit card for you to use for an online transaction(this is for people who worry about their CC# getting hacked). You might be able to generate a CC# with them and use it to register.

There is a VERY compelling reason to require a credit card, aside from future billing issues. Just read this:

http://s2.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/ge...&topic=6978126

What is wrong with the world today? I have been suspended from xbox live! Wonder what the reasons is, I went backwards in Moto GP, and enough complaints came in that I got suspended. Its only 1 day but still the fact that I bought XBOx live purley for the reason of going backwards. When Halo Comes out Im gonna shoot my own teamates and nascar I will run into people. This to me is really fun. I play games to escape reality and do this on computer games all the time. When Did games become so serious. In moto gp just put on no collisions and people like me will leave you alone. Also wheres the fun if all you do is race forwards forever. I dont go backwards cause I suck but because its a different way to play the game. I know when Im playing moto GP going forwards in 1st or 2nd place And I see someone going back wards I think its funny and adds to the game. No reason getting upset its just a game. What do you think guys, I paid my 50 bucks just like you guys
Half of the people posting in the thread are supporting this jackass. Now keep in mind that the people on Gamefaqs boards are primarily younger gamers who are more likely to be shut out from XBL due to not having a credit card. If requiring a credit card helps reduce the number of people with the "i payed mY $5o @nd 1 C@n d0 wut3ev@r I w/NT" attitude, then I think it's a legitimate endeavor.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Kris, seriously... if you have a checking account YOU ALSO HAVE ACCESS TO A CREDIT CARD... Just get a check card, it only takes out money you have. You don't need to qualify to get it. I cannot believe for one second this doesn't exist in Canada.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The debit system is very different in Canada. Don't assume because you can walk into a bank and get yourself a Visa Check card and then use that "Wherever VISA is accepted", that we can do the same. Debit is something that is probably used more than any other form of payment in Canada, but it has nothing to do with the major credit card companies.

I can sympathise with Kris, as I was in pretty much the same boat (and still am). It is a little silly to require it even though you've already paid, but I can understand why Microsoft would want to be in the position to charge you more on a whim.

But the card doesn't have to be YOUR card. If you know someone well enough that they are comfortable giving you their CC number, then that can certainly be a way around it. There's no charges for the first year of course, and you just have to make sure you don't download or play anything with extra content. If in a year you can finally secure a card, you can change the billing address.

In my case, I had to pretend that I was one of those 13 year olds and ask my mom.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
If you are a member of paypal, after 60 days you can sign up for a debit card for your paypal account. It has the visa/mastercard logo. I know because i have one. Maybe you can do that.

capt

Brae

Supporting Actor
Well, if anything parents that don't want their kids playing XBL will have a more difficult time. Personally, I thought about using one of the cards I was planning on letting go (due to lack of use). That, surely, would pull the rug out from under Billy Bob Gate's master plan for a Microsoft VISA card.

Oh, the Bank of Microsoft?

Kami

Screenwriter

I'm Canadian and I had no problems getting my first credit card. I'm 20 now, but I got my first CC when I was 18 and it had a $1k limit, no annual fee and I think the interest rate is 15%. I had only worked 1 or 2 "Serious" jobs before then. I haven't paid the CC company an ounce of interest yet...I just have the card for making online purchases basically.

I got a TD Visa card if you're interested, and I applied online here and got the card in a few weeks:
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/index.jsp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks