What's new

Screw retail, I'm gonna build some kits, help me choose which please (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Had my heart set on eventually getting some Paradigm Reference Actives, but with them being discontinued, doesn't look like that is going to happen. So I'm thinking now I'll look into building a nice set of kits. The Tempest I built got me way more sub than the same amount of money at retail could have, so I'm hoping your advice can get the same type of bang for the buck out of a speaker kit. Ok, here's a list of things to consider for my preferences and situation in no particular order.

Don't want to consider tackling my own crossovers, I want a proven crossover I can just read off a schematic. Infact I'd consider prebuilt crossovers a plus. However, I'll learn to put them together if it means I'll get a much better speaker. (just reiterating that I need a kit, don't know if I'll ever be able to design my own)

I can only swing towers in the mains position, although I'd prefer large bookshelves. Five identical speakers would be cool, but I'll cut cost on the surrounds for better mains and center.

These speakers will be mated with a 260L Tempest tuned to 17hz. Initially they will be powered by an Onkyo TXDS575 with an 80hz crossover to the sub. Later on though, I hope to have an Anthem MCA5 or Outlaw750 powering them and the crossover point at 60hz.

The retail setup I want these to be able to stomp on are Paradigm Reference Studio40 mains, Studio20 surrounds and StudioCC center (for cost reference these would run me $1350 USD including taxes, wouldn't have to ship them). Suggestions can be up to $1200 USD not including cabinets for the 5 speakers (prefereably a little less, at $1200 USD, by the time I pay shipping, brokerage, exchange rate and tax, I'll probably be at what I wanted to spend including the cabinets).

My initial thoughts are:

Adire:

Some combination of sealed Kit281 and 81, possibly their new center

Side note: how does the sealed compare with the vented 281 in the 60hz and up range, does the 0.81q of the sealed compare well with the 0.577q of the vented?

GR-Research:

3 Paradox 1+ (one of which shielded) and 2 Paradox 1, maybe even all 5 Paradox 1+

Opinions on whether or not either of these would stomp on the Paradigm Studio series or PSB Stratus series (I need a little convincing here)? Opinions on which of these would be a better choice? Any other suggestions you feel would be worth a look?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I'mm in the exact same boat you are, except my budget is a little lower. From all the info I gathered in the last week, I'm leaning towards the GR research AV1's or the ACI Emerald Kit with the help of Brian Bunge.

For the GR research, I think Danny would actually recommend the AV1+'s for you. Suposedly the Paradox speakers are best with tube amps. I asked the same question regarding the Paradox1 vs. the AV1. He suggested the AV1.

You may also want to look at ACI, I'm sure Brian will chime in, he's the ACI expert.

You also may want to check out the Madisound forum. There are a lot of DIYers there, many w/links to their sites with pics and projects.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, hell Jeff, since you mentioned my name...:)
Dustin,
Since you'd like towers for the mains if you were interested in ACI kits I'd think about a pair of Opals for the mains and 3 Emeralds for the center and surrounds. I've built both and think they're excellent. The Opals have a single 8" driver and a 1" soft dome tweeter while the Emeralds use a shielded 5" driver and shielded 1" soft dome tweeter.
I've heard several people say that they like the Opals better than the PSB Stratus Silvers and the Emeralds more than the Stratus Minis. I know for the money either of the kits are easily comparable with speakers in the $1K+ range.
Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Guess I should have wrote a little less, or maybe it wasn't clear, either way I'll clarify.

What I meant to say was that the mains is the only position I can possibly fit a tower, I can't in any of the other positions. Even though I can fit a tower for mains, I'd still prefer to have a larger bookshelf (ie a MTM or a TMM).

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,

Just keep in mind that MTM's in general don't make very good center channels. That's more aesthetics than engineering. I'm using my 3 Emeralds as my front soundstage with the center one positioned upright just like the L/R mains. I have a huge room (16.5x18) with 10' walls and then another 6' of cathedral ceiling. It's also completely open to the rest of the house. My Emeralds do quite well even with their relatively small 5.25" driver.

Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Suppose I should also mention that given the weather in Saskatchewan right now. The earliest I could start construction would be in May (maybe April).

Shouldn't Adire have their new 3 way designs out by then. Could go with 3way version of the 281s for mains, the new 3way center and a pair of 81s for surrounds. Anybody have any idea what the cost on Adire's 3way designs would be?

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
I built the Dayton III's from http://www.speakerbuilder.net. They are darn good speakers for the price invested (I spent less than $200 total on both speakers). Good midbass and bass response, not too big, excellent crossover design.
I haven't heard the others that were mentioned, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Dayton III's for the money invested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks