Screw Onkyo! I've HAD It !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I loved my Onkyo 575x until ten minutes ago when the right channel amp died on me. I don't think I have a warranty since I bought it from Crazzy Eddies...so what's a guy to do now? repair shop?

2. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

Uh...screw Onkyo because you decided to buy the reciever that you "loved" from a probable non-authorized dealer and now have a problem but haven't checked with said dealer to see if there's a warranty?

Riiiight...

I'd call Crazy Eddie's and check with them.

Then call Onkyo and check with them.

Then call local repair places.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

1) I'm with Seth. Sounds like an over-reaction to me. Why have you "had it" with Onkyo? That sounds more like a statement from someone who has had a series of problems, not a single incident.
    2) Are you sure the amp "died"? Could you have a short or a crossed wire in your right speaker connection somewhere? That would have blown a fuse, which is easy enough to fix yourself.
    3) I can confirm for a fact that Crazy Eddie is not an authorized Onkyo dealer. All of Onkyo's authorized Internet dealers are listed at www.onkyousa.com . The site also specifically states that Onkyo warranties are void if the unit was bought from an unauthorized dealer.

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Chuck: you are probably covered... be careful what you say to CE tomorrow. Pretend you are a lawyer and ONLY say what you are specifically asked; kind of what Clinton did...

"You bought this receiver from a "supposedly guaranteed seller" and here is what happened....

5. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Answer: Call Onkyo and give them your serial number. You actually recieved this fine piece of Equipment as a GIFT, and have NO IDEA where your GRANDMOTHER may have purchased it!

I've heard/read on this forum that Onkyo covers their receivers, even when purchased from Non-authorized seller. Although I would never "volunteer" where I bought the receiver.

Good luck,

Paul

6. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

ha, okay guys....thanks for the help

also, my heading is kind of a joke!

7. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

I would hope so.

8. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Call CE and see if they'll replace it. If not, call Onkyo and say it was a gift, all will be right with the world. One of them will take care of it.

9. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

JerryW,

WHat does J6P Ja6P mean?

CHuck,

Dont worry man. I have had a fair share of products failing in my life and it always turns out all right.

Later

10. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

Chuck, let us know how this turns out. Good luck!

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

12. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

Heh...I like the "gift" idea. Seems reasonable to me.

Only problem is, how would you prove when you bought it so it's under warranty without a receipt? Oh, you have a receipt to prove it? Well, look on the receipt for the store name...uh....

Good luck anyway, I think companies should cover their hardware regardless of where it was resold.

-Seth

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I like that gift idea too...
    As far as the warranty, based on serial number, Onkyo should at least be able to tell when it was manufactured, and then subsequently if it's still in warranty or not.
    Of course doesn't cover if a unit sits on a dealer's shelf for 6 months before you get it...
    [​IMG]

14. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Oh ya, picking up my baby tomorrow...let's see, I sent it in sat 12-15-01, and I'm getting it back fri 12-28-01...not bad. I hope everything is alright. I think the original crazy eddies receipt worked. I'll let you guys know the good news tomorrow.

15. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Chuck, I'm curious because I have an Onkyo too. Did you send it directly to Onkyo or did you send it to a factory authorized service center? Did they ask for a copy of the sale's receipt? I'm curious as to how difficult a process this was because I got mine from Sound Pros, who state that the full warranty will be honored, but that I might have to first ship it to them and that they in turn will ship it onto Onkyo if they can't fix it themselves.

16. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I just got me a shiny new pair of speakers and tested out my recently fixing Onkyo today. Works like a charm.

DanaA-I took it to an authorized service center. It took them under 14 days to fix like they promised, and it was covered under warranty, so I didn't have to pay a dime.

Upon giving them the sales receipt (carzy eddies, unauthorized dealer I might add), they started repairs.

Did I say I had it with Onkyo? I love Onkyo! again!