1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Screens & Projectors - Spend or Save?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ando1brett, May 8, 2019.

1. ando1brett

ando1brett Auditioning

Brett Anderson
    I'm working on a basement entertainment room that includes a 135" screen.

One option being pushed by my consultant is the Screen Innovations 5 Motorized Slate 1.2 ALR ($6k) with the Sony projector VPL-VW295ES ($5k). I'm guessing that will look amazing, but my wallet will hurt a little.

Another option would be something like Elite Screens Starling Tab-Tension 2 Series ($2k) and Optoma UHD51A projector ($1.6k), or something similar to each of these less expensive devices.

Room has some ambient light. I will have remote blinds to use when needed, but want the screen to look good all the time.

All in, that's a lot more money in my pocket, but will I be disappointed in the image?
    Will I notice a huge difference in picture quality by spending the extra money?
    Will the image still look really good with the cheaper option?

Appreciate any thoughts you have. Cheers!

2. ArnoldLayne

ArnoldLayne Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Chris
    A comprise on the projector would be the ever-popular Epson Home Cinema- I've upgraded 3 times and now have the 5040UB model. The latest is the new 5050.
    Can't comment on a motorized screen without knowing your use and desires. "Some ambient light" is a bit fuzzy also but in my blackout theater I have an inexpensive fixed frame in which I swapped out the stock screen with SeymourAV Center Stage XD acoustically transparent material. The 4050 puts out plenty of light in high output modes for daytime, curtains partially open viewing; but mostly I black block out the light completely. cheers https://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=ArnoldLayne56&folderid=9031

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I have an acoustically transparent Screen Innovations screen and like it. But why the motorized screen? Is that necessary? If not, it will cheaper even for an SI product to have a fixed screen.

I think Elite Screens is a popular brand, particularly given their prices. It I don’t know enough offhand how they compare quality wise. Might be as good as SI, I just can’t say.

As for projector, the $5000 Sony will outperform the budget-minded, pixel-shifting, colorwheel spinning, $1600 Optoma. This is is where you have to decide what your budget and goals are. With the Sony, you’re entering upper/mid quality. With the Optoma you’re going for a budget theater with commensurate quality trade offs. Both are fine goals. Just make sure your budget aligns with your goals.