screens for projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Samonte, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I've read u can get samples from manufacturers so u can adequately test out which is best for u. Where can I ask for these guys? And, as I await these, I'd like to set-up a make-shift screen. I know some just use their white wall or white sheets but is there a particular fabric that I can purchase from..say Walmart, that could pass? My attic isn't up yet and I will be getting a real screen when that's finished. Till then, I'd like to test out samples and make my own.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

2. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Eric,
    you can make a very professional looking Screen with curtain blackout material found at Hancock or JoAnn's Fabrics.
    If you have a digital projector you may consider painting this screen grey to improve blacks.
    Good Luck
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I e-mail Da-Lit and they wrote me back with a number to call. Samples are on the way..yipee!
    Curtain blackout material would probably my first try though. I'm also thinking stretching out taunt some painter's canvas.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Curtain material works really well!
    Locally they called it "white cotton two pass [or maybe three pass]"
    I have a screen made from it, and it's as good as all the budget screens I saw, and better than many.
    $75 in parts, everything included
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

5. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

I also advocate for the the Black out material. I have at home all Dalite and Stewart samples and I see no real improvement from going with pro fabrics. Unless you want a high gain screen (which some people use paint to achieve) a DIY black out screen is the best bang for the money. $22 bucks for fabric and materials.
    Regards

6. JackCWinters

JackCWinters Auditioning

John,
    That seesm like a great idea... I was wondering if there is any type of paint that is better, and if there is a particular shade of grey trhat is reccomended.
    Thank you in advance,
    Jack

7. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Jack,
    You need to dive right in Here .
    I can't vouch for the product cuz I don't have a lamp PJ, but those who've tried it haven't found anything better.
    Good Luck

8. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
  9. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

I know a lot of people have used inexpensive, home-made screens with good results. I do have to question whether any of them have seen their projector mated with the proper Stewart screen. Stewart makes outstanding (albeit expensive) screens that allow one to watch the image as it should be presented. JMHO. [​IMG]