Screens, are they all the same?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Fernando A, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Fernando A

Fernando A Auditioning

Is there anyone out there who has truely compared a DIY screen vs. a purchased screen. I can't help but wonder about how well a DIY screen measures up to a retail screen.

If the differences are minimal, and I do mean really minimal, why wouldn't everyone simply build their own screen and save the money?

I will definitely build my own first and then buy one and compare the 2 first hand, but just wondering if anyone else has doen this.

Thanks.

P.S. what a great forum.[​IMG]

2. Fernando A

Fernando A Auditioning

Anyone?

3. Denis P

Denis P Extra

Take a look at the AVS Screens Forum. They have had several threads on the topic including one incredibly long one regarding a DIY screen based on sheet plastic found at home improvement stores that has developed a cult following.

I've got an InFocus 7200 and decided to go with a Stewart screen (Fire Hawk) and am very happy with the quality of materials and picture. I never did try a DIY screen so I can't speak from experience in the comparison. I think there is little real disagreement that one of the gay screens (Fire Hawk is gray base with gain on top of it) will give you better black and contrast ratio. There is also little real disagreement that a screen with gain will help reduce stray light from reaching your eyes, which also helps contrast.

I bought just the Stewart screen material and mounted it on a DIY frame. This probably saved upwards of $1K. The screen material for a 102" dig screen was ~ $500. Depending on you budget, this is a good way to get state of the screen art performance for a more modest outlay.

Your plan to start with DIY (at a cost of a quart of paint and maybe a sheet of MDF) is a good way to start. The benefits you miss with a DIY screen will depend, in part, on your light control situation and PJ contrast ratio.
    If you have complete light control and a state of the art DLP (or a CRT) you may not be missing much.

4. Fernando A

Fernando A Auditioning

Thank you.

Where can you buy just the material. That sounds like a great compromise. I have been looking but have not found a place that sells just the actual screen fabric for DIY's.

Thanks again.[​IMG]

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

6. Denis P

Denis P Extra

That's where I got mine.