What's new

Screens and other questions (1 Viewer)

steve*joh

Auditioning
I am very early in the construction process for the new HT. Today they dug the hole for the addition to the house that will house the HT downstairs and a porch and mudroom upstairs. when they did this it was necessary (due to bad soils) to fully excavate the area under the mudroom. This means I now have roughly a 10 foot by 7 foot room behind the wall where the FP Screen will be located. I could use this area for A/V equipment or general storage, but I would need to have an access door from the HT. This door would be behind a speaker (which I could hide with a curtain, but would have to move a massive speaker to open) or the screen (which would necessitate a retractable screen)I hate to waste this space if I don't have to.

Do retractable screens work well or do they move too much? at this point I was planning a 120" diagonal screen.

Also, will it affect the sound when the left 10 feet of the theater has a void behind the wall and the right 6 feet has a 8" thick poured concrete wall. If so, any ideas on how to mitigate this difference?

Finally, what is the most desirable location for the screen? in line with the speakers or behind?

Steve

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Finally, what is the most desirable location for the screen? in line with the speakers or behind?
I don't think this makes a whole lot of difference. I have my speakers about 16" in front of the plane of the screen...mostly because I use the room for audiophile listening as well and the speakers sound much better away from the front wall.

Post some pics as you progress...:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks