What's new

Screens....Again (1 Viewer)

JamesP

Grip
I just picked up a used Infocus 4800 with 800 hours on it for $500 CAD, I was planning and still am planning on going with a Panasonic 900. The problem is that the screen size that the Infocus puts out is alot smaller then the Panasonic, and I am at the stage where I am about to get a screen.

Do I:

1. Get a slab of MDF and paint it, and then get a proper screen when I get the Panasonic? (8-12 months off probably)

2. Figure out the screen size of the panasonic and plan for that?

3. Get a proper screen now for the infocus, and then get another one when I get the panasonic?

I am a little squeezed for budget, but not too bad.

If I go with option 1, what colour to paint the MDF for the best results?

Kevin-R-S

Agent
I cant tell you what to do.

But you can buy a 4X8 sheet of MDF for $25.00, paint = $30.00

and you will have your self a nice setup for the next 8-12 months with very little cost.

When you are ready to spend the bigger bucks, and you buy yourself the panasonic you can figure out exactly what you need for a screen. Although you may come to realize that the MDF is more than you need.

Cheers

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I have the same projector(X1) and I painted a sheet of MDF for my screen and it's worked out great. If your room is dark during viewing, I would go with white. If not, I would use a light gray. Or you can just paint the wall for your screen.

JamesP

Grip
Thanks,

I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the chunk of mdf painted aluminum, I have been reading alot lately, and many many people like the way it turns out, and if I don't like it, I can always paint it white afterwards.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
You can always consider the blackout cloth fabric too if you find the MDF to be too heavy. You can paint it too if you'd like. Total cost for my 100" screen was under $50.00.

Kevin-R-S

Agent
It appears that EastPorters a sponser of this site is selling some screens now for really cheap. I can t speak for the quality, and they dont put much on there website about what it is made out of, but I wonder if this would be a good buy.

Has anyone on this forum bought anything from Eastporters, or can anyone speak to there service and item quality.

Check it out. I am tempted to go with the fixed screen.

For 300-400 for a 110" not a bad deal

http://www.eastporters.com/fixed-frame.htm

Kevin-R-S

Agent
Has anyone had any experience with East-porters, and can anyone comment on the screens they are selling?

Cheers

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I haven't had any personal experience with them but with them being in Canada I would think that their pricing for members in Canada would be come of the best.

The screens are new items that they have just started to carry and they look like some good ones worth checking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks