screener copies of DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JiM T, Oct 11, 2001.

1. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

There's a screener copy of a very recent FOX DVD at a local shop for a pretty cheap price, but I'm wondering if it has annoying "SCREENER!!!" banners floating throughout the frame, or what. Or does the movie run normally like the non-screener version?
    I'm hesitant to say what the title is or which store, since I don't want anyone to get into trouble.
    Thanks,
    JiM T

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I have seen screeners before and none have had any sort of "Screener" banners or anything like that. I say get it.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

3. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

First, if the shop is an established retain chain, they could get in very hot water for selling that. Of course, the person who sold it to them could lose their membership as well. That said...
    Is the packaging the same as the general release? I bet it is, and in my experience it will be identical to the normal release and have no burn-ins. Nonetheless, I would never pay for a screener. It's not the same a promotional CD in a used shop for instance...
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

4. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks folks. I'm still on the fence about buying it (assuming it's still available), but it's good to know that there are most likely no screener burn-ins.
    JiM T

5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I've reviewed oodles of Fox DVDs, and there is no intruding text during the movie itself on their screener discs. The UPC code on the back is punched through, and instead of any spiffy artwork on the disc itself, there's just plain text with the title and a 'for screening purposes only' note.
    Screener discs are not intended for resale.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

VHS tapes have a disclaimer that shows up like every ten minutes,I have seen dozens of DVD screeners and none had the writing on the bottom like VHS.
    Techincally, screeners are the property of the companies-theyre illegal to sell, and are supposed to be returned to them upon request.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
    [Edited last by JonZ on October 11, 2001 at 07:51 AM]

8. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

Sorry to burst your collectyive bubbles, but I have several screener DVDs that have have subtitles on them. In all cases, they are player generated.
    All of the 3 of the AD Vision DVD screeners I have (Farscape and some anime titles) have these subtitles. They cannot be turned off, and appear for about 30 seconds every five minutes or so.
    When they come on, you can wait a few seconds, and back up a few frames, and they dissapear for the rest of the time that they should bo on the screen. However, when the next five minutes have elapsed, up again they come.
    They are annoying as hell.
    ------------------
    "If you can't hunt with the big dogs, stay on the porch with the puppies."